Contest Announcment Mount Airy’s Smoke’n BBQ Showdown - MD

M

Mike - CSBBBQ

Received the below email today. This is a first year contest and not till October but for planning purposes wanted to broadcast to the Brethren. The lady running the contest is all about making it as good as she can:-D Hopefully she will be succeed in getting the proclamation. Excited about having another contest in Maryland and this close to the house is SWEET:-D Cut and pasted the flier instead of a link...easier for those of us computer challenged:biggrin: The Kelly Bell Band is a good local blues band.
///
Mike, thought I'd let you know how we're coming along with our plans; we have applied to be a state cookoff; we'll post that info as soon as it arrives. I'm attaching the first flier we've made up; we're all getting very excited about this. We've had an awesome response so far, to just being posted on the KCBS site!
///

Mount Airy’s Smoke’n BBQ Showdown
October 9 and 10, 2009
Mount Airy Firemen’s Carnival Grounds
1009 Twin Arch Road
Corner Route 27 and Twin Arch Road, Mount Airy, MD 21771

KCBS Sanctioned Event
Sponsored by the Mount Airy Main Street Association
In cooperation with the Four County Lions Club

Friday, October 9, 2 to 10 PM
Saturday, October 10, 10 AM to 9 PM

Grand Prize winner; $2500 plus trophy
Reserve Grand Prize winner $1300 plus trophy
Chicken Pork Beef Brisket Ribs
1st $1000 $1000 $1000 $1000
2nd $500 $500 $500 $500
3rd $250 $250 $250 $250
4th $125 $125 $125 $125
5th $75 $75 $75 $75

Featured Headliner THE KELLY BELL BAND, Friday, October 9th
Great entertainment, vendors, food and fun all day
Saturday, October 10th
Beer Tent open Friday 2 to 10 PM, Saturday 11 AM to 9 PM
For more information
BBQCookoff@mountairymainstreet.org
Visit our website www.mountairymainstreet.org
Application forms coming soon!

Sounds like a great event. For a first year event, they seem to be bringing it togehter. Nice prize pool and entertainment. Looking forward to it. Plus, it's less than 30 minutes from the house.:-D

Anybody else going or competing at this event? It's very close to us, and we thought we would drive up and take a look.

wallace

We are in. The last email update I received from the organizer on 09-09-10 there were 19 teams signed up and she said they were expecting a few more.

Looks like the weather is going to be perfect this weekend.

Bryan

We were going to go but opted not to after reading over the site rules and the cost’s, they also have a strict no adult beverages (beer) allowed unless you buy their keg beer just on site. No electrical or water hook up for RV/campers space size is not to bad 20x20 and I am not sure but pretty sure you need to apply for a county vendor health permit and it has to be done by snail mail. Seemed a little bit too restrictive for us it is a shame to so very close to us but I go with the ruling of the team vote, please check out their web site and carefully read the entrance form and other literature if you decide to go best of luck and have fun
RR

We were going to go but opted not to after reading over the site rules and the cost’s, they also have a strict no adult beverages (beer) allowed unless you buy their keg beer just on site. No electrical or water hook up for RV/campers space size is not to bad 20x20 and I am not sure but pretty sure you need to apply for a county vendor health permit and it has to be done by snail mail. Seemed a little bit too restrictive for us it is a shame to so very close to us but I go with the ruling of the team vote, please check out their web site and carefully read the entrance form and other literature if you decide to go best of luck and have fun
RR

The costs seemed in line with most contests, $200 for entry in to the 4 KCBS categories plus a 20x20 site and standard electric (and I assume access to water). The health permit I am fairly certain is only for vendors so not too shabby given the prize purse.

Didn't see the adult beverage thing but normally if you are discrete (ie red cups) at contests that say no outside liquor you are OK.

Mount Airy's Smoke'n BBQ Showdown

Mount Airy, MD
10/08/2010 - 10/09/2010

Grand Champion: Bolo Tie BBQ
Reserve Champion: PA Midnight Smokers​

Overall:
1 Bolo Tie BBQ
2 PA Midnight Smokers
3 Lo-'N'-Slo' BBQ
4 DCFD Firefightng BBQ Tea
5 Chix, Swine & Bovine, LL
6 Florida Skin and Bones
7 Hoos Smokin'
8 3 EYZ BBQ
9 Appleway BBQ
10 Five Families
11 Sugarloaf MT BBQ
12 Smokin' for Fun
13 Just Smokin' Around
14 War Pigs BBQ
15 Patapsco Valley Smokers
16 Pandora's Pit
17 Slumpbuster BBQ
18 Fat Tommy's BBQ
19 Big Bully BBQ
20 Pavone Brothers
21 Pork of Apathy
22 Beale Street Grill
23 Cruzen 2 Q
24 Lunch Box BBQ
25 Chesapeake Dockside BBQ
26 Smoke Eaters BBQ
27 P.H.U. Q'ers
28 Grateful Pig
29 Fat Bottom Grills
30 Pig Pickers
31 Mount Airy Fire Masters
32 Big Bad Dad's BBQ
33 Smoke, Wind & Fire​

Chicken:
1 DCFD Firefightng BBQ Tea
2 Bolo Tie BBQ
3 War Pigs BBQ
4 Lo-'N'-Slo' BBQ
5 Pig Pickers
6 Smoke Eaters BBQ
7 PA Midnight Smokers
8 Chix, Swine & Bovine, LL
9 Florida Skin and Bones
10 Appleway BBQ
11 Sugarloaf MT BBQ
12 Five Families
13 Pork of Apathy
14 Slumpbuster BBQ
15 Patapsco Valley Smokers
16 Grateful Pig
17 Hoos Smokin'
18 Cruzen 2 Q
19 Big Bully BBQ
20 Beale Street Grill
21 Pavone Brothers
22 Fat Tommy's BBQ
23 Smokin' for Fun
24 3 EYZ BBQ
25 Mount Airy Fire Masters
26 Lunch Box BBQ
27 Just Smokin' Around
28 Pandora's Pit
29 Chesapeake Dockside BBQ
30 P.H.U. Q'ers
31 Fat Bottom Grills
32 Big Bad Dad's BBQ
33 Smoke, Wind & Fire

Ribs:
1 Bolo Tie BBQ
2 Hoos Smokin'
3 Fat Tommy's BBQ
4 Smokin' for Fun
5 Just Smokin' Around
6 DCFD Firefightng BBQ Tea
7 3 EYZ BBQ
8 Chix, Swine & Bovine, LL
9 Big Bad Dad's BBQ
10 Florida Skin and Bones
11 P.H.U. Q'ers
12 Appleway BBQ
13 Lo-'N'-Slo' BBQ
14 Cruzen 2 Q
15 War Pigs BBQ
16 PA Midnight Smokers
17 Patapsco Valley Smokers
18 Pandora's Pit
19 Smoke, Wind & Fire
20 Pavone Brothers
21 Fat Bottom Grills
22 Mount Airy Fire Masters
23 Sugarloaf MT BBQ
24 Pig Pickers
25 Big Bully BBQ
26 Pork of Apathy
27 Five Families
28 Slumpbuster BBQ
29 Beale Street Grill
30 Lunch Box BBQ
31 Grateful Pig
32 Chesapeake Dockside BBQ
33 Smoke Eaters BBQ

Pork:
1 Bolo Tie BBQ
2 Slumpbuster BBQ
3 PA Midnight Smokers
4 Hoos Smokin'
5 3 EYZ BBQ
6 War Pigs BBQ
7 Lunch Box BBQ
8 Sugarloaf MT BBQ
9 Chix, Swine & Bovine, LL
10 Chesapeake Dockside BBQ
11 Lo-'N'-Slo' BBQ
12 Pandora's Pit
13 Beale Street Grill
14 Just Smokin' Around
15 Appleway BBQ
16 Smokin' for Fun
17 Big Bully BBQ
18 Five Families
19 Fat Tommy's BBQ
20 Patapsco Valley Smokers
21 DCFD Firefightng BBQ Tea
22 Smoke, Wind & Fire
23 Pavone Brothers
24 Pork of Apathy
25 Smoke Eaters BBQ
26 Mount Airy Fire Masters
27 Florida Skin and Bones
28 Cruzen 2 Q
29 Grateful Pig
30 P.H.U. Q'ers
31 Pig Pickers
32 Fat Bottom Grills
33 Big Bad Dad's BBQ

Brisket:
1 Florida Skin and Bones
2 Five Families
3 PA Midnight Smokers
4 Lo-'N'-Slo' BBQ
5 Pavone Brothers
6 3 EYZ BBQ
7 Pork of Apathy
8 Sugarloaf MT BBQ
9 Big Bully BBQ
10 Patapsco Valley Smokers
11 DCFD Firefightng BBQ Tea
12 Chix, Swine & Bovine, LL
13 Appleway BBQ
14 Pandora's Pit
15 Just Smokin' Around
16 Bolo Tie BBQ
17 Smokin' for Fun
18 Smoke Eaters BBQ
19 Chesapeake Dockside BBQ
20 Beale Street Grill
21 Lunch Box BBQ
22 Fat Bottom Grills
23 Fat Tommy's BBQ
24 Grateful Pig
25 Big Bad Dad's BBQ
26 P.H.U. Q'ers
27 Hoos Smokin'
28 Slumpbuster BBQ
29 Smoke, Wind & Fire
30 Cruzen 2 Q
31 Mount Airy Fire Masters
32 War Pigs BBQ
33 Pig Pickers

I went and did the walk around and spent the afternoon with War Pigs.

It was a nice event but I did not like how the health department was checking temps during turn in. I saw the health inspector jam an instant read into the top side of turn in ribs. If that was my rack I would be pissed. I was told the health department said that since the judges were being served then they needed to have permits for all the teams.

Plus no trophies?

Congrats to all that walked.

It was a nice event but I did not like how the health department was checking temps during turn in. I saw the health inspector jam an instant read into the top side of turn in ribs. If that was my rack I would be pissed. I was told the health department said that since the judges were being served then they needed to have permits for all the teams.

Heh, the health Dept guy hit two very well known teams right at 12:25 & 12:30. I'd have told him where to stick that probe. Somebody needed to set the HD down and explain exactly what goes on at one of these events (not that I think it would have done any good). The other side of this is "Fine, you want permits and hand washing and all the requirments for vending to be met, then what's up with the no samples signs?" They shouldn't be able to have it both ways.

Heh, the health Dept guy hit two very well known teams right at 12:25 & 12:30. I'd have told him where to stick that probe. Somebody needed to set the HD down and explain exactly what goes on at one of these events (not that I think it would have done any good). The other side of this is "Fine, you want permits and hand washing and all the requirments for vending to be met, then what's up with the no samples signs?" They shouldn't be able to have it both ways.

You are correct. I live and work here in Carroll County and the people at the Health Department are very nice but boy are they strict. They will admit that the regs in Carroll are tough.

I'm kind of curious how the HD had any right check meat temps on turn ins.........no food was being purchased by anyone?

Up here in PA our HD doesn't have a leg to stand on if things are given for free.:confused:

Been to a few company appreciation lunches and the HD shows up trying to shut everything down...........when they find out no one payed, they quietly leave.

The costs seemed in line with most contests, $200 for entry in to the 4 KCBS categories plus a 20x20 site and standard electric (and I assume access to water). The health permit I am fairly certain is only for vendors so not too shabby given the prize purse.

Didn't see the adult beverage thing but normally if you are discrete (ie red cups) at contests that say no outside liquor you are OK.

YEP that goes back to my original concerns on this event, with the Health Department permits, but it seems like ya all had a good time at least
RR

Back