Mom's Crawfish Bisque

You knocked that bisque outta the county!
WOW!!!
A lot of work went into making that and I'm sure it was appreciated.

Not all pics make my mouth water - these DO! I can make Bisque no problem; but I've never seen what you do with the heads. "I quick boil the "heads" in baking soda water to clean.." Never seen them stuffed either - but I can figure that out I think.
So - can you 'splain the baking soda? I kinda get it - kinda want to hear it from you.
Thanks!

Another stellar cook! Of course, the bisque looks amazing but, oddly enough is my takeaway from the bacon grease slather. YUM

Amazing Jeanie, as always!

Question, do you eat the whole head or just the stuffing out of the shell?

Thanks for the kind comments everybody! I can make this in one day but had too many things going on this time. It was easier to stuff the heads on day one and make the gravy the next. :grin:
I put several in the freezer for future meals!
I have fond childhood memories of Mom and her sisters gathered around the kitchen table making the bisque. Lots of laughter and good eats when they got together. :laugh:

I love to make bisque, but am usually too lazy to stuff all of the heads. Sometimes I just make boulettes (think hushpuppy-like crawfish balls). Otherwise, your mama's recipe is pretty much the same as my grandma's. The Pet milk may be the only change.

Great job!
I've made the stuffing balls to eat as snacks... but Mom would roll over in her grave if I cut corners on the bisque. :laugh: Thanks! :grin:

Looks awesome!

Like that custom grill grate too!

:thumb:

Thanks Smokey! The grate was a gift from Meyer Metal Works... about 11 years ago.
https://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2012/05/meyer-metal-works-and-my-new-uds-custom.html
It's a pic of me sitting in my chair beside the campfire with a glass of wine. lol I have used the heck out of the grate, it's really heavy duty! :grin:

WOW Amazing. Outstanding. You never need to apologize Jeanie. The more pictures the more I drool. Are you raising your own Crawfish yet :razz:

Thanks George! They grow wild around here. :laugh:

Awesome cook.
I've never had crawdads. I use them for large mouth bass bait.
What do they taste like?

Thank you! They do make great bait!
They are hard to describe. Pretty meaty... they take on the seasonings well. I like them a bit spicy. Sort of like shrimp, not fishy at all. That probably isn't a good description. :oops: :doh: Hope you give them a try some day!!

Perhaps a worn out tape of Chris LeDoux

:laugh: Yes!!

Not all pics make my mouth water - these DO! I can make Bisque no problem; but I've never seen what you do with the heads. "I quick boil the "heads" in baking soda water to clean.." Never seen them stuffed either - but I can figure that out I think.
So - can you 'splain the baking soda? I kinda get it - kinda want to hear it from you.
Thanks!

Thanks so much!! The heads are the thorax and head with the eyes still attached, I remove the eyeballs, legs and whiskers.
After cleaning the thorax and removing the insides, eyeballs and everything, I rinse them well, place them in a pot of water with about 2 Tbs. of baking soda. Let them boil gently, till you see little bits of leftovers from the inside float to the top. Boil another minute or so, rinse the "heads" with fresh water and let them drain well on paper towels. When dry, sometimes I bag the "heads" empty for the freezer. Saves time on future meals.
The baking soda removes anything left in the shells and gets rid of any off odors or flavors. Especially great if you are using your shells at a later date.
Hope this helps!:grin:

Another stellar cook! Of course, the bisque looks amazing but, oddly enough is my takeaway from the bacon grease slather. YUM

lol Thanks Joe! I use bacon drippin's a lot. :grin:

Amazing Jeanie, as always!

Question, do you eat the whole head or just the stuffing out of the shell?

Thanks Terry! I eat just the stuffing, not the shells.

Back