Mission: Help Name our New Product

okay, time to give my review. i chose to use my sample on two different meats. first up was a boneless skinless chicken thigh. second was beef jerky.

test 1- the chicken thigh. i know it was developed with a beefy focus, but i wanted to try it on something else, because i am a curious sort and like experimenting. anyway, nothing fancy, just sprinkled a good layer on a boneless skinless chicken thigh and baked it in the oven at 400 til done.

it was excellent. very savory, very complex and not overly salty and no one flavor seemed to dominate. and i could still taste the chicken, not just the dust. this is where a lot of my umami/savory suggestions came from. it may have been developed with beef in mind, but it'll work some magic on a yard bird.

test 2- beef jerky. wanted to try it on beef, because, hey, that's what it's focus was. wasn't sure what to do. long story short, while i was thinking about it, i happened to see a youtube video of aaron franklin making jerky. the light bulb went on and i had my mission. i bought an 8oz flat iron steak that i lightly tenderized with a jaccard then hand cut it into roughly 3/8-1/2 in strips. tossed the remaining sample (about 85% of the bag) onto the strips and mixed them til evenly coated. then into a ziplock bag for 24hrs. put em on the dehydrator with plenty of room in between and 5.5hrs later they were done.

jerky on

jerky done

due to the thickness, i pulled it off when it was still just a smidge soft in the middle. tried a piece and wow! it was awesome. flavor was really peppery, but not in a bad way. the bites without as much pepper, the flavor of the seasoning on the meat really came through. these, together with the semi-soft jerky made for a really enjoyable snack.
i bagged up the remaining jerky and took it in to work today. it didn't make it through the morning. i know of at least 7 people(i wasn't in the office the whole time) who tried it. every single one loved the flavor. i even had a couple asking when i'd be able to get more to make more jerky.

overall-excellent product and very versatile. while there is a lot going on, flavorwise, none seem to drown out the others. delicate enough for chicken and confident enough for beef jerky. i think you've got a hit on your hands here. i feel that to accurately hint to people what kind of flavor they should expect, it's name should include some variation/synonym of savory or the like.

couple more name suggestions

savory shot
savory magic
mrbill's jerky magic

edited to add- forgot to mention earlier that i believe this would be spectacular on a prime rib roast

Save

Last edited:
okay, time to give my review. i chose to use my sample on two different meats. first up was a boneless skinless chicken thigh. second was beef jerky.

test 1- the chicken thigh. i know it was developed with a beefy focus, but i wanted to try it on something else, because i am a curious sort and like experimenting. anyway, nothing fancy, just sprinkled a good layer on a boneless skinless chicken thigh and baked it in the oven at 400 til done.

it was excellent. very savory, very complex and not overly salty and no one flavor seemed to dominate. and i could still taste the chicken, not just the dust. this is where a lot of my umami/savory suggestions came from. it may have been developed with beef in mind, but it'll work some magic on a yard bird.

test 2- beef jerky. wanted to try it on beef, because, hey, that's what it's focus was. wasn't sure what to do. long story short, while i was thinking about it, i happened to see a youtube video of aaron franklin making jerky. the light bulb went on and i had my mission. i bought an 8oz flat iron steak that i lightly tenderized with a jaccard then hand cut it into roughly 3/8-1/2 in strips. tossed the remaining sample (about 85% of the bag) onto the strips and mixed them til evenly coated. then into a ziplock bag for 24hrs. put em on the dehydrator with plenty of room in between and 5.5hrs later they were done.

jerky on

jerky done

due to the thickness, i pulled it off when it was still just a smidge soft in the middle. tried a piece and wow! it was awesome. flavor was really peppery, but not in a bad way. the bites without as much pepper, the flavor of the seasoning on the meat really came through. these, together with the semi-soft jerky made for a really enjoyable snack.
i bagged up the remaining jerky and took it in to work today. it didn't make it through the morning. i know of at least 7 people(i wasn't in the office the whole time) who tried it. every single one loved the flavor. i even had a couple asking when i'd be able to get more to make more jerky.

overall-excellent product and very versatile. while there is a lot going on, flavorwise, none seem to drown out the others. delicate enough for chicken and confident enough for beef jerky. i think you've got a hit on your hands here. i feel that to accurately hint to people what kind of flavor they should expect, it's name should include some variation/synonym of savory or the like.

couple more name suggestions

savory shot
savory magic
mrbill's jerky magic

I need some of that jerky.
The chicken looks great too!

Thanks for the review.

I need some of that jerky.
The chicken looks great too!

Thanks for the review.

1-you've got the flavor, i listed the steps, you can have it if you make it
2-it was, no bs, thighs aren't my fav(i was cooking for the fam), but it was great
3-no need to thank me, it was great stuff and i am glad i was able to try it for free. when available, i will buy some.

You mentioned "Salt Road" in one of your earlier posts, and mentioned it was from the Trapani region of Italy (Sicily). I think something incorporating that might be nice.

Perhaps an Italian word(s) for Salt Road or some version of "Godfather's" Salt Road Seasoning... "Padrino's Salt Road Seasoning".

Last edited:
Based on those pics...that's not a salt. That's a rub. And apparently a farkin' delicious one that I want to try.

It's a fine line...

Most rubs have salt as the number one ingredient (more salt than any other ingredient).
However their focus is on what they add to the salt.

We chose to sell Gourmet Seasoned Salt. Our products also have salt as the first ingredient, but a high quality salt is the starting point.
We then add as few (simple), high quality herbs and spices as needed to provide the flavor profile we are seeking.

It is a small difference (semantics really), but a big one when it comes to taste and flavor.

Got mine in the mail yesterday. Will be hunting for some beef to try it on and will report back. Tried a pinch and it tastes good. Salty and peppery. Didn't really pick up anything else, but my palate ain't that special... :mrgreen:

I have not been cooking a whole lot but I did try the sample on one of my favorites, avocado. I have my own mix that I normally put on them and found that the sample product was almost in line with what I'm used to. Good pepper profile, with garlic but not over powering. Plenty of salt and overall it was perfect. I like the coarseness too. I think I'd like this on steaks and on burgers as a base, plus some onion powder. To me, the garlic is what led the flavor profile for me. I'll try it on a few other things and report back.

I'm going to grill some zucchini tomorrow with EVO. I'll use this as my only seasoning to see how that goes. :)

I wanted to get this review done, but nothing we cooked really fit. I finally decided to try this when I grilled some burgers the other day. I hit two with System7 Red, my current favorite burger rub, and one i hit heavily with your sample. I used a little less than half the sample on one half pound patty.

12DCA7E2-F989-41D7-98F5-0734E98CB152_zpsgclluely.jpg

Nice looking blend:

20559F43-86B5-49BF-804F-28C432ECA295_zpsmizjkzqq.jpg

Smoked the patties and some sausages on the WSCG with a little cherry.

E12FDD17-F2FE-4294-B674-587E159E0603_zpsa0wbhysg.jpg

3840EEBB-C04D-4EC1-AEAA-723B811F9F76_zpsflrmx9yg.jpg

185ADE4A-9AC4-43C5-8EDE-6790CD8954BE_zpsjbfsoyoq.jpg

Done:

E3082294-5E98-4F71-A59D-59502A069DE5_zpswbhwojmq.jpg

Closer:

D2203D6A-0F4A-427F-B241-ED7495C6F2A1_zps48zs45gp.jpg

Really close:

A310D56A-C50E-4905-8CA3-310BBE7E112F_zpsiisk4tmt.jpg

To make sure I could taste the seasoning, I put it on a plain bun with BBQ sauce on half only, and a single slice of American cheese.

25E9DE43-B6AD-48E1-B98B-DD8933630A9E_zpsx5hxaw6v.jpg

My thoughts: I liked it. As was mentioned above, it was good and peppery, but not overly. There was just enough salt to make the burger tasty. I had hints of other savory flavors, but the bun and burger kinda muted them to where they tasted good, but I couldn't pick them out.

This would be something I would use on a Tri-Tip, chuckie, brisket. I am sure it would also be fine on chicken or pork.

Back