Minion Method revisited

Zeta09

Got Wood.
Name or Nickame
Z
So
I had completed my first real full Brisket (6.2lb Flat) Memorial Weekend and I think my family and guests were very pleased. Kudos to all YT vids and information out there I pulled it off and learned many things

One thing I definitely learned is it's time consuming and a bit too much committment for decent result. I have 3 grills so my Offset Wood smoker needs more love and attention to get great results. I have a Weber Ranch Kettle that I have had for almost a decade (LOVE IT) and have relooked at some of the tips to go low and slow smoking.

Issue#1: Vent locale
The Ranch Kettle has a top vent directly in the middle and 3 bottom vents. Most tips talk about setting the lower vents to closed (or nearly closed) but leaving top wide open. At least for ME that is not effective. Most folks have a small Weber Kettle or smaller grill, this big guy is constructed differently. I recently did a test smoke where following that advice my temp rose all the way to 398F. By nearly closing the top vent I brought it all the way down to 240F for at least 2 Hrs

Issue#2: Coal arrangement (all but one bottom vent slightly open; top wide)
There are several styles of coal arrangement that many suggest. The pile to row to circle (with hot coals in the middle)
With a previous cook earlier this year when I placed 10-12 hot coals on a cold pile (mountain essentially) I was able to get a decent temp of 255F and maintain it x ~6 Hrs
In my recent test (above) I tried the circle method and had 7-8 hot coals in the middle which produced my above high temp. Seems for me the circle method is way too uncontrollable since too many coals tend to light at the same time and increase the temp to sharply.

I like this guys idea and theory (and will try on my next test cook)

I am looking to be able to set my Kettle to hold a temp overnight so I can do the bulk of the smoking on an 8 hr run overnight then wake up to do the final touches (or even finish) but looking to see if there are any tips out there or something I may be missing for utilizing the Minion method to its true potential

Thanks in advance

Search for the Snake Method, its brilliant if you want to maintain a lower temperature for longer on a kettle.

And the main reason we always want the top vent wide open is to avoid dirty smoke, and creosote buildup. Let your fire breathe, and control the air flow with the bottom vents.

Gnarlbecue said:
And the main reason we always want the top vent wide open is to avoid dirty smoke, and creosote buildup. Let your fire breathe, and control the air flow with the bottom vents.

I see. Noted about the creosote.

I've seen the Snake method before and watched a few vids on them but figured it wasn't worth the setup time (beautiful arrangement) and unsure about the actual temps that I would get in my apparatus. I'll give it a shot.

I am going to compare it to the suggested row smoke (lit coals applied to one side of group of cold coals). It seems I am learning how the 3 bottom vents I have really affect my cook temps......

I see. Noted about the creosote.

I've seen the Snake method before and watched a few vids on them but figured it wasn't worth the setup time (beautiful arrangement) and unsure about the actual temps that I would get in my apparatus. I'll give it a shot.

I have 26 in Kettle and use the snake method often. I agree much time can be spent forming the coals to look nice. I however, usually just dump coals on my grate, get them to the perimeter in a semi-circle sort of in a pyramid. It doesn't look near a pretty but it's just as effective and takes little time.

Back