Memphis in May tent/flooring question

Likemike57

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Mike
Some friends and I are planning on starting a patio porker team for Memphis in May this year. I'm trying to put together a budget and one of the surprisingly expensive parts is tent/flooring. All of the patio porker spaces are 15x25, and from the rental company, a 10x20 foot tent is $479 and 10x20 flooring is $525. There are some pretty easy solutions to the tent (for example wayfair has a 10x20 tent for sale for $110), but I'm not sure what a cost effective option would be for flooring. Any suggestions for both the tent and/or flooring would be appreciated.

Is there a requirement for a certain kind of flooring? If not I would think the cheapest interior wall paneling you can find would work. Treated plywood would be expensive but you could reuse it.

Is there a requirement for a certain kind of flooring? If not I would think the cheapest interior wall paneling you can find would work. Treated plywood would be expensive but you could reuse it.

I think the only requirement is that it has to let the grass “breathe”, so I don’t think you’re allowed to just lay plywood on the ground (but it would be a good idea if you could)

flooring that lets the grass breathe?? wth?

........i'm with SirPorkALot, why do you need flooring? Great mother earth has already provided it.

Y’all realize it’s September right ?

:caked:

https://www.memphisinmay.org/engage/blog/memphis-in-may-announces-fall-2020-event-dates-/

Memphis in May (BBQ contest) has been moved to Sep 30 - Oct 3 of this year. Truth be told I feel like there's a good chance this will get cancelled (rather than postponed again).

As for flooring I think pallets are really the best way to go. Maybe some 4x8 OSB or something similar for heavy traffic areas inside your tent, but other places I would just leave it at pallets.

Either way good luck with getting it all done and I really do hope this event takes place.

I'm sure it is canceled. Unless they have had a change of heart, they made the announcement on June 18, 2020 to call it off until 2021.

https://www.memphisinmay.org/engage...ay-events-cancelled-due-to-covid-19-pandemic/

It certainly looks like you're correct.

"Due to the continuing threat of COVID 19, in the interest of public safety and under advice from local health authorities, the planned 2020 Memphis in May events scheduled for September 30 through October 23 are canceled."

you need something to get you out of the mud. we use 4'x4' pressure treated "pallets. We have the newer ones up in the seating section and the rougher ones with some plywood over them in the cook area. You also need to have some 2'x4' sections for the sides most likely.
YOU CAN SEE THE DECKING WE USE IN THIS PICTURE. They are in the back yard now but this is what we use.

Attachments

• PANO_20191128_123402.vr.jpg
    PANO_20191128_123402.vr.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 89
For $1000 they set up the tent and flooring?. That may be a good deal. By the time you buy the tent, gather flooring, haul it around the world and back, put it up, take it down, and then if the tent doesn't hold up for the duration of the event....$1000 could be a bargain.

90% of the time, Memphis in May turns into a big mudfest. Once you get everything cooking and the rain starts, it's too late to rethink flooring options. I think I would go the rental route the first time to see how it works and see if there will be a second year.

Here is the latest team manual I could find from 2019. https://www.memphisinmay.org/sites/567/uploaded/files/WCBCC_TeamManual2019_FINALPRINT.pdf

The flooring options are on page 8:

FLOORING AND GROUND COVER
Flooring must allow the grass to breathe. Pallets covered by plywood or any like floor support design, which keeps the flooring off the ground is acceptable. Any surface, which smothers the grass, e.g., tarpaulins, carpet, plywood or plastic drop cloth, may NOT be placed directly upon the ground. Teams are allowed to lay sod, but the sod must remain after the contest. Memphis in May will not supply flooring to teams. Teams must rent or bring their own flooring. Teams may NOT use mulch, hay, straw, sand, or gravel.

It also says that you must get the tent from their recommended vendor on page 5. I assume that’s also who you need to rent the floor from. Unless you want to scrounge up a bunch of pallets and haul them there it sounds like a floor rental may be the way to go if it isn’t too expensive.

TENTS
All team tent rentals must be secured through Mahaffey Tent & Event Rentals, the official and exclusive tent company. No other tent rental companies will be allowed on the property. A violation of this rule will result in a $500 fine, forfeit of any prize money and inability to compete in the World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest for one year.
Tents must have both a Fire Safety Permit and a Flame-Retardant Certificate in your team’s name. Both must be shown during inspection. If rented, obtain a copy of the Fire Safety Permit and Flame Retardant Certificate from Mahaffey Tent & Event Rentals only. Your tent must also have a flame-retardant certificate, or be tested by the Fire Department at the Avery office or on-site. Cooking rig awnings or covers are also considered tents and must pass inspection and are subject to inspection fees. Permits may be purchased at the Fire Prevention Bureau at 2668 Avery, Memphis, TN 901.320.5418. Inspectors will accept payment by check only. Please note that tents and tent walls will not be installed in winds greater than 20mph.

Back