Marie Sharp's versus Melinda's

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Interesting history for Marie Sharp's. I've only seen Melinda's and have purchased their green. I am familiar with the history of the two brands however I have never seen Marie Sharp's in my area. Today The Bride had me driving around looking for Wheat Thins. I ventured into a Family Walmarts and there upon the shelf sat three varieties of Marie Sharp's hot sauces.
Grabbed the Smokey and Mango. Google Marie Sharp's versus Melinda's for the court case, YouTube has a video I believe

Link to Wikipedia re Marie Sharp's

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Sharp's

I've had both. Melinda's doesn't compare to Marie Sharp's...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at Adams link, Marie Sharp's comes from Belize. Would like to know more about the old tie-in with Melindas which, according to the label, comes from Columbia.

They got some interesting stuff and I almost got the 13 piece sampler kit, but much like that knife people are talking about...well $30 is $30 and that's a decent tri tip up here, so ole hickory and Tabasco are still driving the bus.

-D

I've not even heard of Marie sharps.

It's really good. It used to be pretty hard to find (only specialty hot sauce retailers carried it). Amazon made it so much easier. I used to put the Original Hot on just about anything that needed a quick tune-up. If you get too ambitious it can hurt you. These days I mainly buy Mild and Green Cactus in the 2 or 6 packs of the 10oz bottles. Just a heads up, some Amazon retailers mark them up nearly double. Aim for $6-$7 per bottle for the 10oz size.

Here's what I bought today. Believe it was $3.88 per bottle. Walmart. They had one more but wasn't green. As for green been hitting the Slap Ya Momma green bottle pretty regularly. To my senses the wide variety of greens have more that taste similar than the wide variety of non greens. Taste is subjective, heat tolerance varies. Kind of like coffee, if all I ever had was just old Foldgers I'd be fine, but here I am with Black Rifle-Just Black medium, Foldgers, Givaliae and several others.
Never do the same thing twice. Learned that playing ping pong.

Last edited:
Here's what I bought today. Believe it was $3.88 per bottle. Walmart. They had one more but wasn't green. As for green been hitting the Slap Ya Momma green bottle pretty regularly. To my senses the wide variety of greens have more that taste similar than the wide variety of non greens. Taste is subjective, heat tolerance varies. Kind of like coffee, if all I ever had was just old Foldgers I'd be fine, but here I am with Black Rifle-Just Black medium, Foldgers, Givaliae and several others.
Never do the same thing twice. Learned that playing ping pong.
Did the same thing over and over playing foosball and it worked 70% of the time :biggrin1:

Taste is very subjective. You like what you like, and others like ketchup on hamburgers, hot dogs, meatloaf...even eggs.

It comes down to apples-to-apples, except none are the same.

For those experienced with both, would like to know the closest Marie Sharp sauce, compared to Melindas XXXtra.

Here are the two varieties that I have, the only thing they have in common is they are both pretty hot. The Marie Sharps is thinner with very small grains of carrot and peppers, Melinda's is smooth and creamy. Both have their place.

View attachment 204136

View attachment 204137

Last edited:
I was not impressed with Marie Sharps. Never had Melinda's comparable. I do like their Green Sauce though.
Interesting. Melindas green sauce is one I don't care for. Wish it had a little more kick.

Try Melindas XXX. The XXXXtra is also good, but situational IMO.

Back