THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I emptied the pot after the burn in and the CSR cook, so it had ~ 5 hours worth burned between 350-400.

Doesn’t sound unreasonable at all. That said, and I know that not all MAK owners do this... but I really find that MAK’s are happiest when starting each cook with a freshly cleaned fire pot :)

After last nights cook I wanted to see what the inside of the grill looked like after 16 hours of use. I was curious as to how much ash was generated over that time (temps usually ~250 with about 2hrs at 350 and 1.5 at 400).

Behold, what once was virgin stainless steel is now about as pure as the driven snow.

Flame zone covers/heat diffuser
i-HPDN6T8-L.jpg

Diffuser removed showing the grease tray/fire pot cover - relatively little ash (compared to say lump/sticks)
i-nxcwgMk-L.jpg

i-9Q4JcFq-L.jpg

Not much ash in the fire pot, with the dumped pellets that speed up ignition of the next cook
i-rz3XSCp-L.jpg

Compared again to a similar amount of lump/sticks the residual ash is nothing
i-GtpWCnC-L.jpg

i-q3srW3q-L.jpg

Hello augur
i-L4B3BS9-L.jpg

Because of the design of the MAK I didn't need a shop vac to clean up the interior. A dust brush worked just fine to herd the ash into the drip pan.:thumb:

After last nights cook I wanted to see what the inside of the grill looked like after 16 hours of use. I was curious as to how much ash was generated over that time (temps usually ~250 with about 2hrs at 350 and 1.5 at 400).

Behold, what once was virgin stainless steel is now about as pure as the driven snow.

Flame zone covers/heat diffuser
i-HPDN6T8-L.jpg

Diffuser removed showing the grease tray/fire pot cover - relatively little ash (compared to say lump/sticks)
i-nxcwgMk-L.jpg

i-9Q4JcFq-L.jpg

Not much ash in the fire pot, with the dumped pellets that speed up ignition of the next cook
i-rz3XSCp-L.jpg

Compared again to a similar amount of lump/sticks the residual ash is nothing
i-GtpWCnC-L.jpg

i-q3srW3q-L.jpg

Hello augur
i-L4B3BS9-L.jpg

Because of the design of the MAK I didn't need a shop vac to clean up the interior. A dust brush worked just fine to herd the ash into the drip pan.:thumb:

That looks about right! I’ll bet I don’t clean out the belly of my MAK more than 3 times/year. The ash just sits down there and doesn’t harm a thing. I do keep things tidy from the Flame Zone up... but down below I rarely mess with :)

Having been quarantined these past 2 weeks with a MAK right outside the back door, I decided to step on the scale this morning just to keep tabs on things. Discovered that I have gained 4 lbs in the past 2 weeks. Thanks a lot MAK Grills [emoji37]

I've been losing weight, have a home gym and been lifting more, logged 110mi last week on the bike and as soon as I get this Butt on the Drum going out for a 25 mile ride which will put me at 65mi for the week.

I've been losing weight, have a home gym and been lifting more, logged 110mi last week on the bike and as soon as I get this Butt on the Drum going out for a 25 mile ride which will put me at 65mi for the week.

That is awesome! Having a houseful of kids keeps me in shape... lol. I keep my weight within a 5lb range. Approaching the top of that range and need to adjust a bit... lol.

That is awesome! Having a houseful of kids keeps me in shape... lol. I keep my weight within a 5lb range. Approaching the top of that range and need to adjust a bit... lol.

I am completely off the rails, not that I was ever on them per say, but they've become a mythical lost city of legend.

Chuck roasts went on a bit ago. (Yes, I was lazy and I didn't cover the sides with rub!)

Rub is a sprinkling of Oakridge Habanero Death Dust followed by a covering of Black Ops.

2Fr2zj4.jpg

Lookin’ good!! To lazy to cover the sides with rub? Guess we’ll have to give you a pass considering you had just emptied all your energy into firing up and stabilizing the smoker... lol ;-)

Lookin’ good!! To lazy to cover the sides with rub? Guess we’ll have to give you a pass considering you had just emptied all your energy into firing up and stabilizing the smoker... lol ;-)

The smoker was the easy part. It was children, pets, and work all demanding attention.

Back