THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spicy Thai pork tenderloin salad tonight.

Cooked the tenderloins for 10 minutes at 450*, flipped, and cooked for 15 additional minutes at 400* for an IT of 135*. Interestingly, they stuck to the grate even though the marinate had plenty of oil. I thought about leaving them longer assuming they'd release but I wanted to follow my plan. And my plan was correct as I hit my target IT right when I expected to.

Ready to pull . . .
5wjU6gQ.jpg

And we're ready to eat!
EvVOKNh.jpg

The sticking must be a “new” anodized aluminum thing. I remember my GrillGrates and MAK sear grates doing that for a bit when they were new. I don’t really notice sticking on my MAK sear grates anymore. I do always spray the grates with EVOO before laying the food down. Perhaps that helps.

Thank you. I followed a recipe from Melissa Clark. Her recipes are almost always foolproof. If you don’t have her cookbook titled Dinner, I highly recommend it.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017575-spicy-thai-pork-tenderloin-salad

(PM me if you hit a paywall.)

I only had a small amount of basil so I increased the mint and cilantro. I would have preferred Thai basil over Italian basil but I don’t have any right now.

I used Napa cabbage. I’d happily substitute Savoy cabbage. I’m sure regular cabbage would be fine but I avoid it for recipes like this where I want something more tender.

Also, if you like to cook Thai food at home, I especially like the cookbooks by Leela Punyaratabandhu--Bangkok & Simple Thai Food. I'm looking forward to her new cookbook that is scheduled to be released soon--Flavors of the Southeast Asian Grill: Classic Recipes for Seafood and Meats Cooked over Charcoal

Being new to this grill. Anybody ever cook a pizza on it? Any tips on temp or what rack they used? I was thinking of setting it to grill (600*) on a stone on the top shelf to get radiant heat from the top of the lid. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Wanting to try it sometime soon but don’t want to ruin any pies! Thanks

once, stone on upper rack, set to 450-500 IIRC it was more of a baked pie with a kiss of smoke took about 30 min. it was good

M4JkNfOh.jpg

Thanks. That pie looks good to me. I was going to ask why once but I see you have a pizza oven. You like your oven better? Thinking if getting a stainless pizza pan. Heard they do pretty well for getting the crust crisp??

Spicy Thai pork tenderloin salad tonight.

Cooked the tenderloins for 10 minutes at 450*, flipped, and cooked for 15 additional minutes at 400* for an IT of 135*. Interestingly, they stuck to the grate even though the marinate had plenty of oil. I thought about leaving them longer assuming they'd release but I wanted to follow my plan. And my plan was correct as I hit my target IT right when I expected to.

That looks delicious Grant! Appreciate the tip on the grill grate... I’ll oil before I try!

Baking Steel.

I use a Baking Steel in my home oven with great results. However, I’m using the top broiler so that the pizza is getting intense heat both top and bottom.

I’ve been thinking that I might get a stone for the MAK. But I’m also thinking that I get such great pizzas already, so why bother?

What’s been your experience?

Question for Robb or anyone else that can answer - which size putty knife do you use? Flexible or stiff? Figured I'd ask out in the open so all new owners can see the answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! I didn’t think of that. The marinade had a good amount of sugar.

I probably should have used the regular grate.

Lots of Eastern influenced marinades tend to have some sugar - if not a lot in them. That was my first thought after seeing the pictures. Oiling the grates directly should help.

Question for Robb or anyone else that can answer - which size putty knife do you use? Flexible or stiff? Figured I'd ask out in the open so all new owners can see the answers.

I have 2, 4 and 6 inch knives they all work, the wider is faster and smaller is better for detail work

I have 2, 4 and 6 inch knives they all work, the wider is faster and smaller is better for detail work

Thank you sir. Was wondering if a variety of sizes would be better - seems so.

I use a Baking Steel in my home oven with great results. However, I’m using the top broiler so that the pizza is getting intense heat both top and bottom.

I’ve been thinking that I might get a stone for the MAK. But I’m also thinking that I get such great pizzas already, so why bother?

What’s been your experience?
I do my pies on the Weber with the Kettle Pizza insert along with their SS baking steel lid to get the radiant heat from the top, add a couple of Pecan sticks to the hot coals and it makes for a great wood fire pizza.

If I were to start cooking pies on the MAK I think I would invest in this insert and use the baking steel instead of a stone.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078LSSZ13/ref=psdc_3480717011_t3_B01GQEMYSY

Back