Low Tech Like Me 🔪✌️🔥 DOT Thermometer

DOT is my favorite.
It does one thing, and it does it well.

No need for another but I was tempted when I got the email.

After the death of my approximately 12 year old Thermapen I bought a couple Thermopops. Kept one gifted other. My go to is a several years old Inkbird Bluetooth for easy chair monitoring.. I only have one DOT, but have gifted several to friends and family.

Losing my Thermapen to me, feels like losing my billfold. It came such a habit to start a fire, place meat and cook by looks, feel and Thermapen. It's an adjustment. My cooking process placing thermometer 4th quarter with no interest in charts, graphs, etc etc--DOT will work nicely

I'll adjust

I bought 5 Dots over ten years ago to use in competition. 5th one was a backup. Realize the Dots live in the competition trailer year round. The probes that came with the Dot didn't last a year. Thermoworks replaced them under warranty. However, the tech I was talking with suggested I buy their waterproof probes since he felt they were a little more stable in our cooking environment. I bought a set of water proof probes the first time they went on sale as back ups. As needed, I bought 1 or two more per year, because for whatever reason the probes just failed. And we were treated them with kid gloves when we removed them from the meat making sure not to pull by the wire. When washing, only the metal parts of the probe were washed. Other than the probe failures, the Dots worked. We cooked an average of 10 cook-offs per year up through 2018. 3 in '19, 0 in '20, and 1 in '21. Dots are all dead now.

ATTST: I think they are cheap and simple enough. If kept in a controlled environment, they might last longer. But I advise buying replacement probes. Watch for sales and buy them then.

Thanks,

Robert

Back