Losing events left and right...

Interesting.. I was wondering why there weren't many NorCal KCBS comps as we have been looking to go down and hit a few.

Yes your one of the veteran teams that stepped down to compete against a bunch of start up teams..Stop saying there were two divisions you know dam well those events are nothing but backyard events pumped up by clowns as yourself..and to top it off the organizer stiffed the winners!..real professional huh? Way to go on that one..Kevin keepin going so the rest of the BBQ community can see how much you cry..your part of the problem you sit and lurk on BBQ forums looking to stir things up..how about taking some action and maybe giving back..put on a class...something instead of constantly complaining..or how about a solution to the problem???..keep pretending things are rosy up there too.. I know and have seen the comps dwindle away up there..Morgan Hill ring a bell?..used to be the biggest in the state what happened?..how about Lakeport this year I bet it's done..comps are booming down south so tell me how are you going to help bring the north in line with the south?..you did rejoin CBBQA afterall unless you just rejoined to cry..Hahahahaha

Wow, so in your world, pointing out your [typical] barrage of misinformation in a civil manner amounts to crying and stirring things up? LOL, take a good look in the mirror my friend, because it is you doing the complaining and throwing out the [typical] petty insults.

As for the level of competition in the 3-meat series, there were plenty of experienced teams participating. In fact on average I finished higher in most of my KCBS events last year. There is no need for you to insults those teams as well.

Morgan Hill is now in Santa Clara and it's still booming. Lakeport hasn't been a qualifier for many years. With Penn Valley back in the picture it looks like NorCal may pick up a qualifier this year.

Wow, so in your world, pointing out your [typical] barrage of misinformation in a civil manner amounts to crying and stirring things up? LOL, take a good look in the mirror my friend, because it is you doing the complaining and throwing out the [typical] petty insults.

As for the level of competition in the 3-meat series, there were plenty of experienced teams participating. In fact on average I finished higher in most of my KCBS events last year. There is no need for you to insults those teams as well.

Morgan Hill is now in Santa Clara and it's still booming. Lakeport hasn't been a qualifier for many years. With Penn Valley back in the picture it looks like NorCal may pick up a qualifier this year.
First off your not my friend at ALL!!..secondly ALL you do is type on forums..how about doing something to give back and help your fellow teams up there instead of constantly picking things apart..Again you still offer ZERO solution and that's my whole problem with you..it's so easy to sit and type..get up and take some action..why did you rejoin CBBQA anyway?..it's MUCH better without you and your useless input..and since when did Morgan Hill move to Santa Clara?..those are two different cities last time I was there..they are also promoted by completely different people..it's NOT the same so stop twisting the truth as usual

I refuse to jump in the middle of a skirmish between two guys that clearly have a long history....but I have a question. When did a KCBS competition become the only competition that can be considered high level or professional? Just because you cook 4 different meats to the standards some folks in Missouri felt are the standard, does that mean that all BBQ competitions that are not that somehow inferior?

I have competed in a variety of BBQ competitions. Yes, some were KCBS but many were not. Guess what? They all offer their own unique challenges. Why is it that if it is not KCBS does not mean it is amateur. KCBS is amateur. Find me one KCBS competitor who does it for a living. It's a hobby!

The bottom line is that if you have a BBQ competition in or around your hometown, it benefits all of us who love to compete to try to do whatever you can to make it work. If it is sanctioned by KCBS, great. But if it just a rib cookoff or some other variety, support it. I've met some really great "professional" cooks at events some will call "amatuer." In the end, its all competition against your fellow competitors.

KCBS? Yes, it's one type of competition...but it's not the be all end all. If you have a local competition near you, support it. If it's KCBS and they are considering abandoning the competition, ask them to try another variety. Try a rib cookoff....something to keep the competition alive. I'd much rather compete at a local event that is not sanctioned than lose it all together.

I'll tell you this much, we don't like dealing with clowns here on the forum. Clowns make work for us. We've dealt with more clowning around here in the last few weeks than we would like. Keep it civil. [Honk, honk!]:tsk:

Not too late to join the circus..........but this place ain't it!

Bob

I refuse to jump in the middle of a skirmish between two guys that clearly have a long history....but I have a question. When did a KCBS competition become the only competition that can be considered high level or professional? Just because you cook 4 different meats to the standards some folks in Missouri felt are the standard, does that mean that all BBQ competitions that are not that somehow inferior?

I have competed in a variety of BBQ competitions. Yes, some were KCBS but many were not. Guess what? They all offer their own unique challenges. Why is it that if it is not KCBS does not mean it is amateur. KCBS is amateur. Find me one KCBS competitor who does it for a living. It's a hobby!

The bottom line is that if you have a BBQ competition in or around your hometown, it benefits all of us who love to compete to try to do whatever you can to make it work. If it is sanctioned by KCBS, great. But if it just a rib cookoff or some other variety, support it. I've met some really great "professional" cooks at events some will call "amatuer." In the end, its all competition against your fellow competitors.

KCBS? Yes, it's one type of competition...but it's not the be all end all. If you have a local competition near you, support it. If it's KCBS and they are considering abandoning the competition, ask them to try another variety. Try a rib cookoff....something to keep the competition alive. I'd much rather compete at a local event that is not sanctioned than lose it all together.
Excellent point GrillBillie. We've cooked several non-KCBS events from ribs to gumbo and had just as much fun competing. Wish there was a wider variety of events around here.

Organizing a BBQ contest is highly demanding. It's a real challenge to maintain the support of sponsors, volunteers and the community year after year, which is why most contests don't last more than a few years.

The thing the you have to remember is that at its core, a sanctioned BBQ contest is nothing more than a private party for cooks and judges. Organizers wrap a festival around this party in order to engage the public, but make no mistake, we need organizers much more than they need us.

If you are concerned about contests folding, ask yourself: What have I done to directly support these events? I'm not talking about simply putting in an app to attend the party as a CBJ or cook, but taking responsibility to be one of the folks who put on the party. If every cook would make the effort to help out by volunteering to setup, cleanup, solicit sponsors or even take the point as organizer for only one event each year the rate of contest cancellation would drop substantially.

Yes, I view myself first as a cook, but I also organize. Not because it is as much fun as cooking (it's not) or because it is less work (it's more), but because I feel like it is my obligation to give back to the community. Everybody loves to come to the party, but if everyone is a guest there is no one left to be the host.

The OP had a serious question and quandary. I'd like to use Mr. Fenley's post as an example of what should be discussed and explored in order to solve the problem of quality contests closing shop.

Bob

First off your not my friend at ALL!!..secondly ALL you do is type on forums..how about doing something to give back and help your fellow teams up there instead of constantly picking things apart..Again you still offer ZERO solution and that's my whole problem with you..it's so easy to sit and type..get up and take some action..why did you rejoin CBBQA anyway?..it's MUCH better without you and your useless input..and since when did Morgan Hill move to Santa Clara?..those are two different cities last time I was there..they are also promoted by completely different people..it's NOT the same so stop twisting the truth as usual

Congratulations Friend. You actually got three things correct in a single post:

1. We ain't friends.

2. Morgan Hill and Santa Clara are two different cities.

3. The two events have different promoters. Still one replaced the other several years ago, just like what you are so proud of about what happens in SoCal sometimes.

Why did I decide to come back to the CBBQA? Because you are no longer on the BOD. Simple as that. As for me fixing your perceived problems in NorCal? Not going to happen.

Congratulations Friend. You actually got three things correct in a single post:

1. We ain't friends.

2. Morgan Hill and Santa Clara are two different cities.

3. The two events have different promoters. Still one replaced the other several years ago, just like what you are so proud of about what happens in SoCal sometimes.

Why did I decide to come back to the CBBQA? Because you are no longer on the BOD. Simple as that. As for me fixing your perceived problems in NorCal? Not going to happen.
You forgot the last one..that I knew you'd find this thread and come here to stir it up your an obvious troll in Ca and your proving to be one here..your way too predictable!..as far as helping with anything CBBQA related I knew you'd do your usual NOTHING!..again you think eveything is so well off up there..too blind and arrogant to see..typical Smokey Luv crying

You make some great points Dennis and you actually offer a solution to the problem unlike another poster..let's start off with amature vs pro..I agree nobody is really a professional what I really mean is sactioning vs unsactioned..I love to have fun with all of my friends too,cooking drinking and having a good time..that being said if we are going to drop nearly 1k per contest I'd like to know things are going to be fair and on the up and up..this is what you get when you cook a "pro" event..cooking sactioned events is kinda like insurance..when cooking unsactioned events anything can happen..nobody to keep things in check and no way to get your money that wasn't paid either..these are just a few of the things that can possibly happen..so in the end comp BBQ is already a big giant gamble to me why gamble on fly by night promoters and unsactioned contests..if I wanna gamble that bad against those odds I'll go to Vegas instead

Mod Note: Maybe you guys didn't catch Bob's warning because he was being humorous. So...

Knock off the personal attacks and petty bickering. If you two have personal issues (which you clearly do), take them into PM where they belong. If you can't do that, put each other on ignore or move on to a different thread.

This is the second warning in this thread. If we have to step in a third time there may be repercussions.

....but I have a question. When did a KCBS competition become the only competition that can be considered high level or professional? Just because you cook 4 different meats to the standards some folks in Missouri felt are the standard, does that mean that all BBQ competitions that are not that somehow inferior?

Spot on GB, and exactly my point. BBQ is about what people want, not what others think it should be.

Counting those 4 fun and competitive 3-meat events you get a total of 13 "pro-level" (i.e. not backyard) contests in NorCal last year - not too shabby if you ask me! And sure those 4 may not have been AR qualifiers but the overall winner did qualify for the World Food Championships.

Thanks for the feedback folks! I've been around long enough to see local comps come and go...but losing Tree Top was a heartbreaker! Come to find out they have a new CEO who wasn't in to holding the event any longer. :tsk:

Management changes can go either way. All depends on how they view the bottom line. Challenge is how to change that view...

Thanks for the feedback folks! I've been around long enough to see local comps come and go...but losing Tree Top was a heartbreaker! Come to find out they have a new CEO who wasn't in to holding the event any longer. :tsk:
I am truly sorry to hear this..and I apologize for the hijack.

Understatement of the day.
I was absolutely crushed when I found out.

Yeah, that's a blow for sure. Too bad... I was able to cook it 2 years and I agree that the people who are going to feel the pain the most are the locals, the general public, and the community. Hard to believe a new CEO would pull the pin on an event that has reaped so much community benefit.

Back