Looking for teammate in mid-atlantic area

chris_todd

Found some matches.
I haven't posted much here, so mods please forgive me if this post is not appropriate for this forum.

My name is Chris Todd, and for the last two years I've cooked under the team name May the Smoke Be With You. We started out as a Father-Daughter team, but my 12 year old daughter has lost interest. I haven't, but the expense and effort of cooking by myself is such that if I have to do it by myself, I've got better things to do with my time and money.

However, if I had a teammate (or three) to split the work, then I think I could really enjoy competing. The fine folks at Team Meat Coma graciously allowed me to cook with them for two comps this year, where I was only responsible for Pork (and helping setup/teardown), and that was a fantastic experience (for me, at least, lol).

Some details: I live in the western suburbs of Baltimore, MD, and in general, I want to stick to comps that are less than 2 hours away (with some exceptions). So, MD,DE,VA,PA. I don't have a trailer or anything that could tow a trailer. I have a Honda Fit that will pack a ton of stuff, but not everything you would need to cook four meats at a comp. But enough to cook two meats for sure. Alternatively, I have in the past rented a van, but I'm interested in keeping expenses down, so if I can avoid that, I will.

So here's my proposal:
I love brisket and pork, and I'm moderately good at pork, having received top ten calls in it each of my last four out of my last five comps (including both recent comps with TMC). So I'll be completely responsible for brisket and pork, and you'll be completely responsible for chicken and ribs (both of which I hate). What does completely responsible mean? You buy it, trim it, season it, cook it, sauce it, box it, and collect any winnings in that category. You also bring the smoker you'll use to cook it, and buy any rubs, sauces, or other secret ingredients you'll need. We can split any shared expenses like entry fees, aluminum foil, paper towels, drinking water, beer, etc., and if lightning strikes and we get RGC or GC, we split that money. I'm also open to discussion and negotiation on any of these topics. This is just my suggestion as a starting point for the conversation.

So are you game? I don't require that you have any competition experience, though if you do, that's great. If you're a KCBS CBJ, that's also cool, though I'm not looking for someone to do their Master CBJ cook with me, I'm looking for a long-term teammate. I'm willing to share everything I know about cooking chicken and ribs, though given my previous results, I doubt you'd even want that, LOL.

If you've interested, or at least want to chat more, you can respond here or email me at christopher dot todd at gmail dot com.

By the way, I'm not currently registered for any comps in the mid-atlantic region, but the MABBQ did just send me an email about the Smithfield, VA event on August 4th (my birthday weekend) that looks very interesting. That might be my next comp, if I can find a partner...

Hey Rusty, here is your calling!

I wouldn't be able to get out of work for that one. Plus we are going to a ball game in Pittsburgh that weekend. I promised the wife I would go to the game. Its a thing her work is doing.

To the OP good luck!

Sounds like a good deal....too bad I am in NJ, too far to go for me.
Best of luck to you!!

Back