THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WeberWho

is one Smokin' Farker
Hey Brethren, I'm planning on smoking 7 pork shoulders this weekend and looking for a homemade rub. It seems like most commercial rubs have too much sugar and burns/hardens the bark. Any suggestions or recipes for a rub? Thanks!

Two ways about it: simple SP rub and heavy sauce, or flavorful rub and mild-to-no sauce. As you're supposed to cook it to a mush many swear by just using 2:1 pepper/salt and douse the shredded meat in a tangy, vinegary, rich sauce. If you like the idea then there's your answer

Otherwise, as @Fooball said, Franklin's rub is nice and you can still use some 50/50 cider vinegar + BBQ sauce on top not to go too overboard

Last time I did a butt, I used Killer Hogs The BBQ rub and a splash of Killer Hogs AP. Turned out pretty good.

Back