THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dr. Trout Bum

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Greg
I mentioned in another thread I was in process on a chuckie, so here’s were I am.

The plan:
Dry brine with Oakridge Black Ops for 24 hours - done (sorry, no pic)
Sous Vide at 155F for 24 hours - done
Chill for 3 hours - done
Smoke for 4-5 hours - in process
Rest for 1-2 hours - TBD

Here’s the chuckie after I pulled it out of the bag

51390883768_60769d9b9f_z.jpg

I hit it up with another application of Black Ops and put it on my PitBoss Vertical at 150F. I’ll bump it to about 300F for the last hour or so. Here’s a shot about 45 minutes in…

51391363144_b4bf11ed83_z.jpg

I have a friend who is putting his boxer, Buster, down tomorrow due to cancer. Buster gets a chunk of this chuckie and I’m making him some special gravy from the juice from the SV bag….hope he enjoys his final meal before crossing the rainbow bridge….

Edit: forgot to add that I’m using Lumberjack Char Hickory pellets.

Last edited:
Sorry - I didn’t get a final sliced shot. It was just a hair dry but not crumbly and super tender. Not sure I’d do it that way again.

Buster crossed the rainbow bridge this morning, but it’s reported he loved his last meal.

I do SV chuckies often but mine run 130° for 48 hrs then chill, smoke and char sear. They turn out juicy, tender, pink and delicious. Good on you for Buster's last meal. :clap2:

Back