Larger cook for me and amount of food ?

more question than an answer. since cook time on butts is variable could you do those butts a bit early and ftc for a bit . chicken is pretty reliable as to time

more question than an answer. since cook time on butts is variable could you do those butts a bit early and ftc for a bit . chicken is pretty reliable as to time

A test butt I did took 5 hours on the dot and the cook averaged 425* I estimate with 4 on it will take 6 hours but i'm planning worst case for 7 hours. It's amazing how much faster they cook going another hundred degrees from the normal temp of 300*

Sounds like you're on the right track.

I usually figure 1/4 lb average per person (it usually works out with kids and light eaters in the mix). With pulled pork I pretty much always get 40% waste, but if you figure 50% to be safe, then that will give you about 50 lbs raw if doing all pork.

If you're planning on doing chicken, you MAY consider pulled chicken. People really seem to love it, especially people who are health conscious. Oh I get it....there's not a lot of difference, but somehow people have this "chicken is healthy" idea.

I also have done whole smoked chickens that I portion or slice and pan up. That works well too, but it can be tough to keep warm and fresh tasting, depending on how quick it gets served.

THIS IS THE METHOD that I've been doing for pulled chicken over the last year. It works GREAT and is super easy and can be done fairly quickly (as compared to pulled pork). Since posting that, I've changed to doing a mixture of skinless boneless thighs and skinless boneless breasts (ilo chicken tenderloins). I just mix them all up in the pans together, season and cook. Turns out great every time & people LOVE it.

GOOD LUCK!

If you're planning on doing chicken, you MAY consider pulled chicken. People really seem to love it, especially people who are health conscious. Oh I get it....there's not a lot of difference, but somehow people have this "chicken is healthy" idea.

I also have done whole smoked chickens that I portion or slice and pan up. That works well too, but it can be tough to keep warm and fresh tasting, depending on how quick it gets served.

THIS IS THE METHOD that I've been doing for pulled chicken over the last year. It works GREAT and is super easy and can be done fairly quickly (as compared to pulled pork). Since posting that, I've changed to doing a mixture of skinless boneless thighs and skinless boneless breasts (ilo chicken tenderloins). I just mix them all up in the pans together, season and cook. Turns out great every time & people LOVE it.

GOOD LUCK!
Thanks!

I didn't buy tenderloins this time only breasts and skinless boneless. The pulling sounds like a great idea. I'm gonna have to practice doing that on a personal cook.

This time i was planning on slicing on the bias and putting chicken stock with some butter for the breast and serving out of a hotel pan with a burner underneath. The thighs i'm gonna glaze with bbq and slice/chunk up.

One thing on keeping the thighs warm and moist is I was going to maybe put them on a rack in a pan with sterno and have some stock or water covering the bottom of the pan. I'd imagine that should work?

Don't forget to include yourself in your counts. If you do we're talking five butts instead of four, or four butts and one really big turkey.

A test butt I did took 5 hours on the dot and the cook averaged 425* I estimate with 4 on it will take 6 hours but i'm planning worst case for 7 hours. It's amazing how much faster they cook going another hundred degrees from the normal temp of 300*

I given some thought on cook times vs temp.

I reason its how hot you are above finish temp that makes a difference.

Example 225 may only be 10-20 above finish. 275 about 60. While its only like 20% more heat its could be over three times the degrees above finish temp.

So on my scale your cooking like a million times faster than 225.

Are we thoroughly confused yet?

I given some thought on cook times vs temp.

I reason its how hot you are above finish temp that makes a difference.

Example 225 may only be 10-20 above finish. 275 about 60. While its only like 20% more heat its could be over three times the degrees above finish temp.

So on my scale your cooking like a million times faster than 225.

Are we thoroughly confused yet?
Confused? :twitch: Nah!

All I know is if I can keep 400* plus with a big load in a small space it'll be good.

Back