Kirkland Brand Briquettes

onemanlan

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Taylor
Saw these yesterday in Costco. 2x20# for $18. Had not seen them before or heard them mentioned here. As a grilling degenerate I couldn't help but grabbing some even though I'm pretty stocked with the Cowboy briquettes lol.

Has anybody had experience with them? Unfortunately it's been raining around these parts so I haven't had a chance to try them. Curious how they'll be. Also curious to know who manufactures them.

IqnXDWt - Imgur.jpg

Can you open the bag and take a pic of some of the briquettes? Getting a look at one or more of them might offer some clues.

In the meantime, my gut instinct based on the price is they might be private labeled Kingsford Competition.

Following. I have had good luck with other Kirkland products, so I am anxious to know myself.

Can you open the bag and take a pic of some of the briquettes? Getting a look at one or more of them might offer some clues.

In the meantime, my gut instinct based on the price is they might be private labeled Kingsford Competition.

Sure, Ill snag some pics a bit later today.

Haven’t seen them here, I’ll be looking forward to your report on them!

I did try their pellets last week, was not impressed!

#briquetteslightintherain

GsMlMWG
GsMlMWG
Here ya go. They look of decent quality. Between these guys and the Cowboy Briquettes at Walmart I'm really happy with the KF alternatives for the price. Obviously we'll see how these burn, but I'm sure they'll be fine for my needs.

The shape reminds me of the 'Ridge' charcoal, a Royal Oak brand, occasionally sold in Lowes. Here is a second version of the product from RO in slightly different packaging. They might be making it on contract for Costco. Would make sense given the company's size and capacity.

Also on the back, bottom bit it only says that they're distributed by Costco from Isssaquah WA and "Made in the USA." No mention of anything else. Funny enough it also says "costco.com" for more info, but I can't find a listing there or through google at all. Must be very new.
y5iZbcc.jpg

SdEdQjX.jpg
NDc7kDk.jpg

Last edited:
I approve of the charcoal. Would buy again without question. It's always good to have options! They're pretty dang big compared to KF briquettes.

tPVVSj3.jpg

XUTQKiA.jpg

eQVaUKy.jpg

Grilled peaches and lemons. Ended up putting maple cinnamon butter on the peaches. Stellar.

IBM1Dnc.jpg

My son approved of the grilled peaches

PIF7KJV.jpg

idB548a.jpg

Co2twsu.jpg

Can you post the item number? It's right above the UPC in your pics, but I can't quite read it. Would love to check with my local costcos to see if they have them in stock!

I ended up running to Costco over lunch for something unrelated and found them in my local warehouse. Item number is 1734925.

Using the item number, one can call their local warehouse to check if they have it in stock or if it's in any nearby stores.

I ended up running to Costco over lunch for something unrelated and found them in my local warehouse. Item number is 1734925.

Using the item number, one can call their local warehouse to check if they have it in stock or if it's in any nearby stores.

Gotcha, just got home from work to see this. Glad you were able to find it.

My guess is that they are the same (or similar) as the Members Mark briquettes that Sam's carried a few years ago. The MM ones were RO ridge shape, but much larger than normal. The briquettes were well molded and perfectly uniform. To date, those MM briqs are the best ones that I have ever used. Unfortunately, they were only carried by Sam's for one season. I still have a couple of bags left, that I ration for Brisket cooks only.

I recently bought some Royal Oak Super Size briqs at Kroger, hoping that they were the same. RO super size was larger and worked well, but most briqs were either misshapen and/or broken. Definitely not as nice as the Sam's briqs, nor the Kirkland ones pictured above. I may have to check out Costco for the first time.

I had wondered why Sam's didn't have their own. They carry RO Lump(under a diff brand), KF matchlight, and KF blue in double packs. In place of the Cowboy deal at Walmart I'd be snagging these more often if they're on offer at least once a year. The put off some heat when cooking yesterday.

Guys I have to say this, it’s not charcoal but Kirklands 93/7 ground beef makes the BEST burgers I have ever made. I’m simple, I season with garlic salt, onion powder and black pepper. I add one egg and crumbled saltines. I put a little Dales before cooking. I cook on the edge of the coals 10 mins on each side and then finish over the coals till done. I melt slice of sargentos pepper jack. I kid you not even the minister of war and finance raved about it. The patties left were served the next day. I rarely brag on a brand but I am sold on this hamburger meat.

That was last night for dinner :biggrin1:.

In my case it was the $5 rotisserie chicken. And then the bones went into the Instant Pot for as long as I can set it.

But back to the briquettes - thanks for posting this. I looked at them and wound up paying more for KBB (or are we calling that KF now?) I gut burned - figuratively speaking - when I asked SWMBO to get some charcoal when she was at the store AND TO BE SURE IT WAS KINGSFORD. She came back with some other stuff that won't stay lit when I stop down the lid vent in my Weber. :mmph:

I'm glad to hear this is Good Stuff and will snag a couple bags on my next trip. (And another $5 rotisserie chicken. I really like to do my own but at $5 they're hard to pass up.) I also grabbed a 10.00 lb pork belly (now in the fridge, makin' bacon) and a 3 1/2 lb corned beef now in the kettle fired with KBB and some pear wood. When it hits ~165°F or thereabouts it'll go in the IP for about 40 minutes. Then I'll add veggies finish it w/out pressure. Don't like mushy veggies. But now I'm wandering... :blah::blah::blah:

I was really curious about this. I fear that Costco wont carry Kingsford anymore because they have their own brand. A friend of mine got some of these and gave them a shot and said that they burn a lot faster than the KF pro that we have become accustomed to. How are the burn rates?

- G

I hated the Kirkland. Never again. I, too, hope that they replace the Kingsford Professional with this garbage.

Back