Keepin' the old ways alive. My family story.

That is the definition of spending quality time together as a family! Thanks for posting, one of those stories that make you feel better for having read it!

That's a fine thing ya'll are doing there.I wish I had paid closer attention and taken notes.The old ways and recipes slip away before we know it.Thanks for sharing .

Great story, great pics, wonderful looking food. I certainly reminds me of being at grandma's house although, unfortunately, we never got to take lessons -- just to young I guess.

That dinner was remarkably similar to what grandma made, with everything coming from her own garden and hen house. The only item missing was the "okree" as she called it. We did use a White Mountain hand crank ice cream churn.

If you haven't done so already, make some videos of grandma doing her magic in the kitchen. They will be priceless one day.

Thanks for sharing a wonderful American story

Thanks much for sharing this - there is so much richness in family traditions and glad to see folks keeping it alive.

What a great outing for your family and a strong role model for your granddaughter! My sisters never really cared to learn from my mother or grandmothers, so it has fallen to me, the son, to be the keeper of the family culinary traditions. Posts like yours go a long way to re-enforcing the importance of tradition!

Great story and pictures, your granddaughter will remember this experience forever! Thanks for making me smile and remember my grandmother today.

If I could go back in time, I would have taken notes on my mom's and great great aunt's recipes.

I am so glad that your family is able to pass down family history and knowledge. Your children and your grandchildren will be glad they got to spend this time with your parents.

Like your daughter said, some of us lost our grandparents. I am one such person. 3 of them were dead before I was born.

Back