THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yeah,.. I like the sound of the bar codes, and the member assigned part SOB described. Not saying a mix up caused your results,... but I'm all for making a system work better.

The potential issue I can see with automated numbering is if something does go wrong, it would make verifying difficult. Humans can do a pretty good job double checking simple 1-3 digit numbers but all the barcodes I've seen are much more complex.

As an IT guy, I can say from experience that the more technology you bring to a problem, the more places for something to go wrong, and the the longer it takes to recover from an error. I can easily imagine scenarios like awards being two hours late because of simple causes like a dead phone battery or smudged barcode stickers.

The bar code system has been working good for the PNWBA, after the cooks meeting you get your boxes and they have pre-printed bar-code labels ready to go, they take one off and put on their list of teams and the cooks gets the rest of them(I think 7 or so). That way if you smudge one you have back-ups, at turn-ins your box is scanned and put into the system, then the computer randomly picks a number that the head judge writes on the box(we use a double blind system). Our soft-ware program allows for multiply scanners and also multiple computers(we use lap-tops) that can talk to each other. Earlier this year we had a whole new program wrote up that makes it very fast and efficient for the head-judge to enter scores, most times results can be had with-in minutes of the final turn-in.

Back