KCBS turnin box mix-ups

Yeah,.. I like the sound of the bar codes, and the member assigned part SOB described. Not saying a mix up caused your results,... but I'm all for making a system work better.

The potential issue I can see with automated numbering is if something does go wrong, it would make verifying difficult. Humans can do a pretty good job double checking simple 1-3 digit numbers but all the barcodes I've seen are much more complex.

As an IT guy, I can say from experience that the more technology you bring to a problem, the more places for something to go wrong, and the the longer it takes to recover from an error. I can easily imagine scenarios like awards being two hours late because of simple causes like a dead phone battery or smudged barcode stickers.

The bar code system has been working good for the PNWBA, after the cooks meeting you get your boxes and they have pre-printed bar-code labels ready to go, they take one off and put on their list of teams and the cooks gets the rest of them(I think 7 or so). That way if you smudge one you have back-ups, at turn-ins your box is scanned and put into the system, then the computer randomly picks a number that the head judge writes on the box(we use a double blind system). Our soft-ware program allows for multiply scanners and also multiple computers(we use lap-tops) that can talk to each other. Earlier this year we had a whole new program wrote up that makes it very fast and efficient for the head-judge to enter scores, most times results can be had with-in minutes of the final turn-in.

Back