THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QN

is one Smokin' Farker
They are a husband and wife team and are doing both contests.

It should be transparent to the contestants at the first contest, I'm taking part in the second contest in Cresskill. I'm not sure how I feel about the whole thing to be honest guess we'll see how it works out.

They are a husband and wife team and are doing both contests.

It should be transparent to the contestants at the first contest, I'm taking part in the second contest in Cresskill. I'm not sure how I feel about the whole thing to be honest guess we'll see how it works out.

Hey Sean,
It should be interesting...
Awards are scheduled for 4pm at the Friday/Saturday contest and it appears to be a ~3 hour drive to the Cresskill location (200+ miles).
Reps are supposed to be at the contest until after awards.This appears to put them at the second contest sometime Saturday night. Just seems a little late for the reps to be getting to a contest they are responsible for.
Good luck at the contest!

I am at the 1st contest and I have to say I don't like this. The reps (good people) are going to be rushed. I may just challenge to see my boxes to check the team numbers just for fun. They have to produce them if I ask to see them ,right?

I am just kidding of course..maybe.:heh:

Hey Sean,
It should be interesting...
Awards are scheduled for 4pm at the Friday/Saturday contest and it appears to be a ~3 hour drive to the Cresskill location (200+ miles).
Reps are supposed to be at the contest until after awards.This appears to put them at the second contest sometime Saturday night. Just seems a little late for the reps to be getting to a contest they are responsible for.
Good luck at the contest!
Shrewsbury to Cresskill on Saturday afternoon is going to be more like 5-6 hours.

Who's going to give the cook's meeting in Cresskill and at what time? Midnight?

Shrewsbury to Cresskill on Saturday afternoon is going to be more like 5-6 hours.

Who's going to give the cook's meeting in Cresskill and at what time? Midnight?

That's my concern. I'm not sure how the travel logistics are getting worked out but the more I think about the less feasible the whole situation appears.

My understanding is they were assigned to rep the second contest after the untimely passing away of another rep earlier this year. Don and Nancy are members here and great folks but I'm not seeing this as possible and certainly not practical. I have no idea about the availability of reps for that weekend, but I really think that a different team should be assigned to each contest.

Thats the problem with lack of reps in the northeast.

There are more than enough KCBS reps within the geography of these contests. I think it's more of an assignment issue.

That's my concern. I'm not sure how the travel logistics are getting worked out but the more I think about the less feasible the whole situation appears.

My understanding is they were assigned to rep the second contest after the untimely passing away of another rep earlier this year. Don and Nancy are members here and great folks but I'm not seeing this as possible and certainly not practical. I have no idea about the availability of reps for that weekend, but I really think that a different team should be assigned to each contest.

There are more than enough KCBS reps within the geography of these contests. I think it's more of an assignment issue.
A quick look at the KCBS website indicates to me that there are at lease 6 if not more local area reps unscheduled that weekend. Two of them are within 30 miles of Shrewsbury.

The Muller's were at New Paltz (not working, just stopping by) and I talked to Don. He said they were specifically requested to do Cresskill which is a first year comp. They've been doing York for years. They came to New Paltz when they had the weekend off!!! I think they will run both contests just fine.

Also, how is this any different than a team that competes in a Fri/Sat and a Sat/Sun contest on the same weekend? That's allowed, isn't it? I personally do not see a problem with it. What needs to happen on Sat in Cresskill anyway? Meat inspection and Cook's meeting. Anything else?

Meat inspection -- All competition meats shall be inspected by the Official Meat Inspector during the times established by the contest organizer.

Meat Inspector does not need to be the Reps

Cook's Meeting -- Times may vary at any contest. Turn-in times will be confirmed at the Cooks Meeting.

This is the only mention of the Cook's Meeting in the rules. So looks like the Organizer can run the Cook's meeting and it does not need to be the reps.

The Muller's were at New Paltz (not working, just stopping by) and I talked to Don. He said they were specifically requested to do Cresskill which is a first year comp. They've been doing York for years. They came to New Paltz when they had the weekend off!!! I think they will run both contests just fine.
Their ability isn't in question - it's a matter of logistics

Also, how is this any different than a team that competes in a Fri/Sat and a Sat/Sun contest on the same weekend? That's allowed, isn't it? I personally do not see a problem with it.
If a team doing a double header is late or delayed by traffic only that team is affected. The rep being late can affect all the teams.
What needs to happen on Sat in Cresskill anyway? Meat inspection and Cook's meeting. Anything else?

Meat inspection -- All competition meats shall be inspected by the Official Meat Inspector during the times established by the contest organizer.

Meat Inspector does not need to be the Reps

Cook's Meeting -- Times may vary at any contest. Turn-in times will be confirmed at the Cooks Meeting.

This is the only mention of the Cook's Meeting in the rules. So looks like the ORganizer cna run the Cook's meeting and it does not need to be the reps.
Like you mentioned, Cresskill is a first year event. Does not having the KCBS reps present to help guide the organizer on the first day of a first time event and not be present at the cook's meeting sound like a good idea? Are you OK with not getting your boxes until Sunday morning?

Lastly, If I was the organizer (and to a lesser extent the teams) who paid KCBS sanctioning fees I'd feel a little short changed if my reps didn't show up until midnight.

Are you OK with not getting your boxes until Sunday morning?
midnight.

I hadn't heard that we're not getting our boxes until Sunday morning. I would expect to have them by 9pm on Saturday. That I would be fine with.

Or better yet, give them to me on Sunday and make it a no garnish contest!!! We can all take a vote at the Cook's meeting about it. I heard some contests are doing that these days. DQ any team that turns in an entry that has parsley in the box.

I hadn't heard that we're not getting our boxes until Sunday morning. I would expect to have them by 9pm on Saturday. That I would be fine with.

Or better yet, give them to me on Sunday and make it a no garnish contest!!! We can all take a vote at the Cook's meeting about it. I heard some contests are doing that these days. DQ any team that turns in an entry that has parsley in the box.
If they don't get there until after midnight to generate the master team list from SCORE so they can number the boxes when do you think you'd get them?

How can you modify the KCBS rules (no garnish from garnish optional) at the cook's meeting without the KCBS rep being there and approving the variation?

Edited to add.

I've been to Shrewsbury every year and the awards have never been on time and last about an hour.

One of our team mates came from NY to Fredrick for Swinetastic on a Friday. It took him 9 1/2 hours with traffic. Granted Friday isn't Saturday but the traffic bottlenecks they will face (York, Harrisburg, 83/81 split, 61/Cabelas exit on I78, Allentown, Across the bridge into NJ, the construction mess at exits 8 & 9 on the NJTP, etc) would make me really nervous.

Last edited:
The garnish part was tongue in cheek obviously. They can't give out boxes on Sunday. Not my issue to solve though. I will be expecting my boxes some time Saturday night along with everyone else.

For the record, we have competed in York every year as well coming to/from NJ. It is a long drive. I am not debating that. I do not remember ever being stuck in traffic going in either direction though. Now driving home from New Paltz or from Long Island, that's another story.

You are not going to be in York or Cresskill this year, correct?

I have seen Ron and Dena Milhous do a double one weekend in Iowa. Never heard of an issue or complaint.

What I would really like to hear about is how this actually plays out for you who are involved.

Please bring this thread back or start a new one after that weekend and let us all know how it went from the first and second contest perspective. I hear your concerns, but how do the events go? Did the concerns bloom into issues for either contest?

Back