KCBS press release

Burnt at Both Endz

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Calvin
For good or bad, KCBS has changed.......

KCBS is excited to announce some upcoming changes- We are no longer going to retain an exclusive marketing partner. This change will bring a fresh perspective on redefining brand relationships and consumer experiences with KCBS.
Official Press Release:
KCBS’s Meteoric Rise Further Fueled by the Addition of Multiple Marketing Channels
Kansas City, MO – Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017 – The largest sanctioning body in Competitive Foods is on fire and making bold moves. On the heels of massive expansion around the World, the Kansas City Barbecue Society (KCBS) has brought onboard additional and non-exclusive Marketing Partners to further drive the company’s mission to spark chemistry between brands and people everywhere they come in contact. With the addition of dynamic creative partners, the Kansas City Barbeque Society further solidifies its model of leadership in the Food Sport space.
As KCBS builds on its proven and powerful audience-centric approach, the largest world-wide sanctioning body continues to propel brand and food sport experiences everywhere, into global powerhouses.
In the last year alone, KCBS has made many significant strides to re-align itself with its roots in BBQ and the families and consumers involved in Food Sport. We have begun the process to add additional avenues to build our brand. This started with making some very tough decisions, including transitioning from our 11 year exclusive relationship with MMA Creative as the sole provider for our creative services, project management, digital partnership development, marketing partnerships and brand activations, to expanding opportunities in the open market with multiple strategic partners and service providers. While MMA is still a very active part of the KCBS family, it is no longer our exclusive Agency of Record and as of December 31, 2017 will not be under an agreement with KCBS. Beginning in January 2017, MMA Creative will have the opportunity to continue to work with KCBS and our BBQ family in a non- exclusive fashion similar to other new partners.
As the exclusive Agency of Record partnership comes to an end with MMA Creative, The Board of Directors want to honor Mike McCloud and his entire staff for all they have done for KCBS and our BBQ family. For more than a decade, KCBS and MMA Creative have enjoyed a mutually beneficial partnership as we have grown our brand and reach. While we value the support and hard work from MMA, The Leadership of KCBS feels we have come to a position that lends itself to the next steps for both KCBS and MMA Creative. We wish our long-time friends at MMA creative nothing but the best in their future endeavors. As we work to further the brand and impact of KCBS around the world, our sincere hope is this transition to a multiple partner approach along with other changes being implemented will allow KCBS to provide opportunities for those wanting to help enhance our brand and strengthen the impact for our BBQ family.
The next big challenge for KCBS is furthering its brand. The company is enhancing its own brand by turbocharging its sanctioning programs to reflect the dynamic processes, events and participants already involved. KCBS president MIKE HAYS says, “We’re really on a roll. We continue to add top-notch creative thinkers and doers to our team and are focused on creating an environment where we can challenge ourselves and do our best. Our approach results in meaningful transformations and expansion for our events and members who are true disruptors and change agents within our industries.”

I know nothing about KCBS marketing. For those that do, do you think this help KCBS grow, or are they just putting out an overly optimistic press release?

I had to re-read it a couple of times because the entire release seemed very odd. Along with the use of buzzwords there were a few other things that I noticed.

There were multiple uses of "the company" in reference to KCBS, I have always thought of KCBS as an organization that exists for the benefit of the members but this makes it sound more like a for profit business.

They also make reference to "Competitive Foods" and "Food Sports" rather than BBQ competitions, this may not mean much but it did stick out when I read the release.

I also found it odd that they would put out this type of release without announcing some new non-exclusive partners, not exactly sure what to make of it but I can't remember any organization putting out a release like this without adding anything new. MMA announced they were splitting with KCBS some time ago so that is not really press release worthy.

This change is long overdue. I don't think KCBS membership got any value out of the partnership while MMA got a tremendous value from KCBS as it was KCBS that spring boarded the WFC.

I think MMA is a little hurt. Took the KCBS from 2K members to over 20K members.

Probably better for the KCBS.

Sam's tour is in limbo for next year Im hearing

I’m sure there will be more talk next week at finals. Last year they announced the 2017 series at the Thursday supper

I’m a big fan of the series. I hope it doesn’t die off. Maybe MMA can keep it running with or without Sam’s as the lead sponsor. It’s still incredibly popular in my neck of the woods. Other areas, not so much.

I’ll say one thing though about MMA, the WFC is imploding on itself with stupid changes. My biggest nightmare would be MMA trying to run Sam’s without KCBS sanctioning. Surprise challenges, celebrity judges, etc

"As KCBS builds on its proven and powerful audience-centric approach"

That line caught my attention when I read the press release. I'm not sure bbq contests are really audience-centric except in the minds of those KCBS people associated with the traveling truck/demo program.

Back