KCBS backyard comps

Rustypigbbq

Name or Nickame
Pete
Do you guys prefer spares or babybacks when doing a KCBS backyard competition? Doing a comp and both have been coming out good when I practice just not sure if the judges prefer one or the other. Thanks

I do St. Louis, always. I don't know of any team I compete with that does baby backs. I know for me, I have better luck with moister ribs by doing spares.

Spares are the norm in KCBS. I've won ribs at a MBN contest with spares (where baby back is the norm). I think they are meatier, moister, and overall have a better flavor than baby backs.

Everyone told me I was crazy turning in spares for an MBN contest. I just wanted to put the best product forward and it turned out well for us. Perfect perfect score :cool:

Back in the early 2000s when I started KCBS contests, most folks were switching from baby backs to spares, largely because of availability. Chili’s (insert jingle here) baby back ribs were so popular that the meat companies sold all the good ones to them. The only ones you could buy locally would likely have shiners (exposed bone), which doesn’t present well. I actually cook a lot of baby backs these days, with no shiners, so I think you might do well with them in a backyard comp.

Spares are the norm in KCBS. I've won ribs at a MBN contest with spares (where baby back is the norm). I think they are meatier, moister, and overall have a better flavor than baby backs.

Everyone told me I was crazy turning in spares for an MBN contest. I just wanted to put the best product forward and it turned out well for us. Perfect perfect score :cool:

Very cool !

Back