THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I don't see the problem then Cuz 275* is a Great all around BBQ Temp for everything. :thumb: Most of my stuff is 300*ish (+/- 10*) on charcoal n wood chunks ( UDS,Cabinet and Kettle) and 260-275*ish in the Bandera Stickburner.

Thats what I should have done in the first place. 275 - 300.

Well Its all done. Pulled it at 200. Turned out better than I thought it would. After that last re-light, I kept it between 270 and 300. I guess that is what I should have done to start with instead of shooting for 215. I guess I just thought 215 was the "sweet spot" temp to keep.

I might just get one of those PID temp draft controllers and see what it can do for the lower temps. And then maybe I will trust it for an overnight cook?

At least this time when I went away from it for too long the temp was going low instead of shooting up.

Chris

I would atleast master how to control temp by adjusting the vents first before purchasing a controller.

I am a rookie, but I'll throw out my .02

I bought my Akorn about 4 months ago. I cook on it 3-4 times a week and love it. I definitely think the brand of lump makes a difference.
When I use Royal Oak (red bag), I can lock in around 225-235 and my vents are barely open. Less than 1 on the bottom and just a trickle at the top. I've done a couple 10 hour butts with no problems.
Right now, I am using Chigger Creek Sweet & Smokey. It wants to be in the 240s and the vents are way more open. Bottom at close to 2 and top at 1. If I try to lower the temp with this lump, it will snuff. So I just roll with it in the 40s.
Going forward I am going to use the RO for low and slow and the Chigger for pizzas and hot cooks. (Reason being: there actually seems to be a flavor difference with the pizzas using the Chigger. I tend to get into the grape while doing pizzas though, so maybe it doesn't even make a difference and it's all in my mind.)

Just for an FYI, I did end up calling Char-Griller on the damaged lid just to see what they would do. I really didn't think they would do anything just because I knowingly bought it damaged, and received a pretty good discount because of that. At the request of the CSR I emailed them pictures and a copy of my receipt. I just got a notice from UPS that something is at my door, from A & J Manufacturing. At 30lb, I bet it is a new lid!!!

I have grilled on this thing almost every day since I got it, and love it, even with the bent up lid and seal. I have actually thought about selling my gas grills.

I also have some gasket material to seal up the bottom a bit more.

For the money, this cooker kicks ass!!!

I think even the wife loves it, lol.

Chris

Back