THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chronos

Knows what a fatty is.
So, the bacon never got stiff as expected, but it's been in there 11 days and people suggested it should be fine.

I've cut off the end of 2 of the slabs and am not sure if this is what they're supposed to look like. Last time I didn't cut them until after they were smoked. When does the pink color hit?

One of the slabs has a firmer texture but one seems similar to what I would expect it to be raw.

Can you eyeball the picks and let me know if this is what I should expect or if I'm being overly paranoid?

Thanks,

Jerry

Attachments

• Bacon 1.jpg
    Bacon 1.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 173
  • Bacon 2.jpg
    Bacon 2.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 172
I used pink salt (prague powder #1). It is fairly fatty, so that's probably it.

I hadn't cut into the first batch I'd done so I wasn't sure what to expect. I thought the pink color would already be there, but I guess that really comes out in the smoking process.

It may not be overly stiff if it is really fatty. The color looks correct. What did you use for cure?

That looks good to me. What are the aromatics? I started 3 slabs yesterday, 2 have maple syrup ( family favorite) and the 3rd is an experiment with 2 jalapeno peppers and 2 cloves of garlic all mashed up. Can't wait to try that one.

I used the following spices from the recommended recipes:

Brown Sugar, Granulated Garlic, Fenugreek seeds, Black pepper, Crushed Bay leaf, Pink Salt, and Pickling Salt.

The interesting thing about the fenugreek is that it's supposed to give a maple-like flavor but I'm picking up more on the Indian spice flavor. I'm going to brush on some syrup at smoke time and I bet it will blend in very nicely.

That looks good to me. What are the aromatics? I started 3 slabs yesterday, 2 have maple syrup ( family favorite) and the 3rd is an experiment with 2 jalapeno peppers and 2 cloves of garlic all mashed up. Can't wait to try that one.

I used the following spices from the recommended recipes:

Brown Sugar, Granulated Garlic, Fenugreek seeds, Black pepper, Crushed Bay leaf, Pink Salt, and Pickling Salt.

The interesting thing about the fenugreek is that it's supposed to give a maple-like flavor but I'm picking up more on the Indian spice flavor. I'm going to brush on some syrup at smoke time and I bet it will blend in very nicely.
My wife took fenugreek capsules while breastfeeding (it promotes production) and she smelled like maple syrup when she sweated....

Bacon is on my todo list this summer, can't wait to give it a go................lets us know how it comes out.

You must be using thirdeye's recipe The origional recipe came from someone on the Big Green Egg Forum She used the capsules/seeds to give it a maple flavor I think she used maple lump too

Exactly where I got the recipe from. I'll see if I have some maple, though I think I only have apple and alder left.

You must be using thirdeye's recipe The origional recipe came from someone on the Big Green Egg Forum She used the capsules/seeds to give it a maple flavor I think she used maple lump too

Back