Introducing The Most Affordable Gravity Fed Insulated Cabinet Smoker on the Market

Bought the OCGF at Academy last weekend. There were some scratches on the back panel and the store clerk gave me $150.00 off the price. Nothing major at all. Did a burn in and loaded up some half chickens two days ago. My viper fan fit perfectly into the intake ball valve so no adaptor needed. Set it at 250 then raised the temp to 300. Had no problems with temps holding and overall it was a success on the first cook. The only drawback was a small leak around the top left side of the cooking chamber door. Not drastic but still some small wisps of smoke would get out from time to time. The real test will be a brisket this week. If I can get the bark and smoke close to my T-Pit smoker I'll be really happy. For now it looks to be a good buy.

Local Academy here in Amarillo has two O.C. Gravity Feeds on display, I did a quick look over and I must say I was impressed with the fit and finish, no door or frame warp issues that I could see. If I haven’t already started building one of my own I wouldn’t hesitate to buy. The one I’m building is bigger, but the O.C. is plenty big enough for my needs and I have more than $1300 dollars in it and I’m not done yet!

2 racks of ribs yesterday on the OCGF and they were great. So far all cooks have yielded very good results. The only thing I will change next would be to use only one or two chunks of wood for chicken. Smoke favor was a tad too much and I think that was a combination of adding a few too many wood chunks combined with the big difference in air flow (less). Brisket was great but will definitely either inject or add tallow to the wrap. Bark, smoke, tenderness and overall taste was great but slightly dryer than I'd like. Ribs were very good. Meat candy according to my family. Really enjoying the consistency of this smoker and the big time reduction in monitoring temps.

So… are these a buy? Like worth trying if your happy with your primo ceramic, Shirley offset, Santa Maria and rockin Mak pellet grill?

Something about this made me circle back a few times at academy as I walked in and left… somehow I missed this smoker on here but I didn’t miss it in person. I know I have too many already but this is a cool little niche

So… are these a buy? Like worth trying if your happy with your primo ceramic, Shirley offset, Santa Maria and rockin Mak pellet grill?

Something about this made me circle back a few times at academy as I walked in and left… somehow I missed this smoker on here but I didn’t miss it in person. I know I have too many already but this is a cool little niche
It's like Pokémon. Gotta catch em all! I did that for several years. Then you end up with 20 and mold because you can't use that many. :doh:

At least I've tried every single type and know what I like. No more experimenting.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

My local Academy - Burleson - finally got 2.
On one the door sticks out a lil in top corner but it seems to be making contact - not a gap/leak. On 2nd one door is pretty flush.

6160c9326880571d217669dbf7787a4e.jpg

a1e5264fb11219e9872846be4086a230.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This OCGF is the compromise I was looking for. Stable temps, long intervals between any adjustments to coals, adding wood etc. and it definitely produces a taste as close to my reverse flow as I can get. So far I've done brisket, ribs and chicken with great results. There are lots of cookers like this but for me the price and quality makes it a steal. I have a 24" T-Pit, drum smoker and a WSM 22" but this gravity fed has quickly become my favorite.

My local Academy - Burleson - finally got 2.
On one the door sticks out a lil in top corner but it seems to be making contact - not a gap/leak. On 2nd one door is pretty flush.

6160c9326880571d217669dbf7787a4e.jpg

a1e5264fb11219e9872846be4086a230.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is exactly how the door on mine looks but no real issues with leaking. Some small wisps of smoke occasionally but overall seems to seal fine.

How can I get one of these things to SoCal???

Stalk the Academy site until some show up as available to “ship to home”.
Luckily when they do show up they’re usually only a couple weeks lead time and <$500 to ship by freight carrier.

How can I get one of these things to SoCal???

Probably Can’t because of some Bullchit Cali law saying Anything in Sold in California has to have a “don’t cause cancer sticker” or something………so some products can’t be shipped to Cali………..

Lately, there’s been a curiously increasing problem for people living in California. When they try to order certain products online, they’re finding that some products aren’t shipping to California, simply because of where they live. The cause boils down to legislation that dates back to a time before online retail, but is being more heavily enforced today.
It’s called The Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986, or more succinctly put, California Proposition 65. Some confuse the law as a ban on products but that’s not what it is at all. Simply put, it requires companies to list warnings on products that contain certain chemicals or substances that that state has determined to be cancer or birth defect-causing agents. It’s been a contentious law, to say the least, and it’s a long list, currently up to 22 pages. It’s not that the these substances will cause these problems with certainty, especially not in the trace amounts that those products may contain, just they have the potential.

https://www.bradsdeals.com/blog/why-some-products-arent-shipping-to-california

Last edited:
Probably Can’t because of some Bullchit Cali law saying Anything in Sold in California has to have a “don’t cause cancer sticker” or something………so some products can’t be shipped to Cali………..

Lately, there’s been a curiously increasing problem for people living in California. When they try to order certain products online, they’re finding that some products aren’t shipping to California, simply because of where they live. The cause boils down to legislation that dates back to a time before online retail, but is being more heavily enforced today.
It’s called The Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986, or more succinctly put, California Proposition 65. Some confuse the law as a ban on products but that’s not what it is at all. Simply put, it requires companies to list warnings on products that contain certain chemicals or substances that that state has determined to be cancer or birth defect-causing agents. It’s been a contentious law, to say the least, and it’s a long list, currently up to 22 pages. It’s not that the these substances will cause these problems with certainty, especially not in the trace amounts that those products may contain, just they have the potential.

https://www.bradsdeals.com/blog/why-some-products-arent-shipping-to-california

When I was looking to get one of these before the pandemic killed the production, I spoke with someone at the shop and he let me know that they would slap a sticker on for me and send one. I held on as long as I was willing and finally moved on to a different cooker. It just took them too long to get production going again. I can tell you that the person I spoke with was a great guy though. Very friendly and helpful. I'd reach out and see if they will work with you. In a pinch, you could buy the sticker and send it to them to put on.....

Back