Insulating a Pit Boss Copperhead 5 cabinet?

dward51

Full Fledged Farker
Some time back I modified a Masterbuilt entry level electric smoker to insulate the cabinet, add more racks, and change out the heating element which was controlled via a true PID controller. This involved drilling out the rivets to remove the interior liners so rock wool insulation could be installed between the inner and outer body, and then modifying the interior to accept the additional racks.

Fast forward to 2022, and I'm wondering about doing the same insulation mod to my Copperhead 5. I still have plenty of the rock wool and stainless rivets for the reassembly. The air chamber between the inner and outer body appears fairly small, maybe 3/4" in the CH5. Since this one will not have electric heat under PID control, and will retain the pellet fire pot, I'm wondering 2 things; 1) will this be a problem with the heat program in the controller, 2) is this going to make much of a difference in the performance of the CH5.

I'm not having issues with my CH, just wondering if the insulation mod might make it hold a more even temp than the usual 25-35 degree swings from when the pellets are being stoked vs the cool down interval between. The swing is in the controller display, not in the food chamber. The temp in the food area stays pretty level and consistent which is what matters - not what the fire pot area is at (where the swings take place).

What say the other dabblers of Copperhead-dom on this insulation mod? Worth the effort or not?

My 2017 Masterbuilt mod to make a "MES Custom SS" can be found at this link (photo heavy): https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/mes-custom-ss-model-mods-pic-heavy.264396/

full

No issues with my CH5 holding temps. The swing is normal........ but seems like you clearly want to dabble for the sake of dabbling...... which i say go for it :-D

Jason, I'm sort of on the fence. Like you said, it works just fine, "but"..... I'm just not sure if the small space will really make much of a difference. The void is only about 3/4" (estimated). I may just leave it as is. Not that I have never been accused of dabbling for the sake of dabbling either.

I guess if I must dabble, I could add a slam latch and upgrade the hinges. That would be an actual improvement over what it came with.

No issues with my CH5 holding temps. The swing is normal........ but seems like you clearly want to dabble for the sake of dabbling...... which i say go for it :-D

I think the swings are more Controller then cabinet related. Ive done recteq mods to all my Pit Boss smokers and never have temp swings during the winter.
Heres a video i found on youtube doing the same mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf7DP-sECuo

I am not sure what the controller cost now since i did this long before covid was a thing, but it ran me about $225 including shipping for each controller.

Back