Insulated smokers and clean smoke

I produced a lot of crap on my backwoods chubby. I bet if I still had it I could make great air on it.

I think because no one thinks about “insulation” on a kamado. Its more of just a brand thing vs when someone looking at cabinet or offsets it’s do I go insulated,metal thickness,brand etc

Not sure if someone has compared Temps on the surface of a 2” insulated FB but I would be interested to see how that compares to a kamado at high temp. My guess is a kamado is equivelant to a 2” insulated cabinet. With that being said I haven’t seen anyone wish they had gone 3” insulation as not sure get significant improvement over 2”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got this sent to me this morning and it was just published today, its a little goofy and states the obvious about quality of wood.......... but he does three of things Harry Soo does ........... right temp, proper placement of wood chunks, high quality lump

How to clean smoke from BGE

https://youtu.be/wf4HT8l36kg

Interesting question and answers.

If charcoal is your fuel then insulation is needed for stability of temp and low consumption of fuel.

To what point insulation becomes a bad thing is when the cooker holds so much heat 1 briquette keeps the temp then there is no chance of any wood added to do its then is a clean way.

Meaning, if you look at the chimney starters when the coal is fully lit, there is flames.
spread those coals out in a grill and no flames just glowing coals.

I personally believe flames are the cleanest smoke, smoke with aroma and flavor.

Using my offset early on, I stuck with coals and found I needed to insulate it.
Wind, outside air temps would affect the cook chamber.

After insulating it is very stable.
Problem now that I use wood, because running small fires really heat up the chamber.
Running small fires is a lot of work because they burn up fast and need constant attention.

Moving from a vertical offset to IVC (KAT Small Vault) was a HUGE learning curve. Usually lay down two fire bricks in the fuel basket and then spread lit coals from chimney in the back and you're good to go for hours! Once it reaches temp I throw wood chunks on. If I need more fuel for cooks longer than 8hrs I simply throw more coals on. The ball valve and stack damper make temp control easy after a while. I don't even use my fireboard blower or a water pan anymore.

One big difference I noticed: more humidity in IVC! The moisture coming off the meat naturally keeps the chamber perfect I don't need to spray or really even wrap! Sometimes I'll wrap to speed things up if I don't care about the bark too much, but what I used to do at 225º in the offset I now do at 275º in the KAT with very similar results in less time, not to mention less labor!

Back