In Progress Pr0n Weber Kettle HnF Bare Naked Brisket & Burnt Ends

MisterChrister

Quintessential Chatty Farker
So I have heard great things about this Chris Lilly wet rub recipe and decided to try it on a small packer (9#) I picked up the other day. I can't really fit a brisket much larger than 10# on my 22.5" Performer without folding it so it sounded like a fun experiment. I decided to slightly modify a couple of things, so we shall see. Isn't that part of the fun of Q?

The meat - a 9.11# choice packer. It was fairly well trimmed, so all I did was do a little rinse, finish trimming, and pat dry.
DSCN2773.jpg

DSCN2775.jpg

I also opted to partially split the fat vein between the flat and point. I want to get some rub and smokey goodness in there. I just carefully slit into the middle of the fat vein, then removed some of the fat to leave about 1/8" on each side of the split, then scored the fat down to the meat (but not into the meat!) so when I put the rub paste on, it can make its way home!
DSCN2777.jpg

DSCN2780.jpg

The wet rub paste is pretty simple. 2 tablespoons each of brown sugar (I substituted raw turbinado sugar for less risk of sugar burn in HnF), kosher salt (PLEASE don't use table salt noobs!), paprika, & worcestershire sauce; 1 tablespoon each of mustard, onion powder, & black pepper, 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (I subbed chipotle that I had on hand and reduced to 1 teaspoon for my wife and kids), and 4 cloves of finely minced garlic (okay I'm busted, I upped that to 6 cloves, I'm a self-confessed garlicholic!). The rub is supposed to be applied before the meat goes on the cooker but I'm changing that up for two reasons. One, it's messier than all get-out and is easier applied when you're done hoisting the meat all over the place. Two (and I hypothesize most importantly, we SHALL see!), I think the paste consistency of this wet rub will block most of the smoke from penetrating the meat. I am going to give the meat a good hour to suck up the smoke TRULY "Bare Naked" before applying the rub.
DSCN2770.jpg

DSCN2772.jpg

The cooker set up - Ole' Trusty is my Green/Stainless Performer. While I DO adore the Performer for work space and the gas ignition, anyone with a kettle can do pretty much most of the 'Que you see on this forum. Butts, ribs, prime rib roasts, fatties, birds, fish, and who knows what else are very easy to do on a plain old Weber kettle. Sure, if I had deeper pockets I'd love to have an Egg, Jambo, WSM, Maverick, Thermapen etc., but don't be afraid to try any of the stuff you see on here just because "all I have is a kettle". You CAN do it!!! I did splurge for a $20 bag of Wicked Good lump. They could call it "Wicked HUGE", there are small logs in this bag! That's ok, it all burns! I opted for mesquite for smoke chunks (leave 'em dry guys!). I build a ring of unlit lump topped with some good sized smoke chunks, leaving enough space for a foil turkey roasting pan and also enough room for 1/3 chimney of lit coals on one end. I like to shield my unlit with some foil while using the gas ignition to keep from pre-igniting the unlit in the middle. Then I will fire my 1/3 chimney til red, move it out of the way, put the foil pan in (see how I bent up the edges to make it fit better?), dump in my chimney of lit, THEN carefully remove the foil pan without letting the coals fall down where it was, and rinse it out since it now has ash and small bits of coal etc. in it. I will be using the drippings and don't wanna eat that stuff!
DSCN2781.jpg

DSCN2782.jpg

DSCN2786.jpg

DSCN2787.jpg

DSCN2788.jpg

DSCN2789.jpg

I will be smoking the brisket naked for an hour at 325 before appling the rub. At that time it will get flipped.
DSCN2790.jpg

90 minutes in.....

I let it go bare for 90 minutes before applying the rub. Here's some naked pr0n of both sides, and some rubbed shots, including in the crevice that I opened up between the point and flat.
DSCN2791.jpg

DSCN2793.jpg

DSCN2795.jpg

DSCN2796.jpg

Looking good. What's the theory behind of going no rub for 90 minutes?

The rub is SO pasty that I figured it will kind of make a wetsuit on the brisket not much smoke could get though it and find its way into the meat. I figured I'd get some good smoke into the meat first, then apply the rub. I'm not too worried about it not barking up since I'm not using a water pan and running around 325 +/-.

3 hours in....

This is where it starts to look edible and the torture begins! I plan on taking it to probe "buttah" tender in the thickest part of the flat +/- 195 internal temp., then pulling it from the cooker, separating the flat and point, double-wrapping the flat in foil to rest in a towel in a pre-warmed cooler, and cubing the point to return to the cooker in a foil pan for another hour or so for burnt ends.......

bnb4.jpg

anyone with a kettle can do pretty much most of the 'Que you see on this forum. Butts, ribs, prime rib roasts, fatties, birds, fish, and who knows what else are very easy to do on a plain old Weber kettle. Sure, if I had deeper pockets I'd love to have an Egg, Jambo, WSM, Maverick, Thermapen etc., but don't be afraid to try any of the stuff you see on here just because "all I have is a kettle".

Totally agree with you on the Weber Kettle comment. It's a very adaptable grill/smoker and I'll always have one or two..........or more......

6 hours in.....

So after 6 hours at +/- 325, she probed like buttah in the flat (only a 9#er). I split the flat and point, wrapped the flat in two layers of HD foil, and put the flat in a small warmed cooler wrapped in towels to rest for 60-90 minutes. Here's the point; cubed to approx. 1", then sprinkled with some of my own beef rub, a little bit of raw sugar, a few TBSP of strained and defatted drippings, and a lil' Stubbs for good measure. Back on the Weber they go for 60-90 minutes at least, or until the rest of the point fat renders out and they start to carmelize...........
DSCN2798.jpg

DSCN2800.jpg

DSCN2802.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the smoke ring penetration, I hope it got into the flat that far. The schnibblinz on the cutting board were DY-NO-MITE!!!!

Burnt ends.......

The burnt ends are pretty much done. I split them into two pans to give them more room to sweat out the fat and did spoon some of the fat out once. They're still MASSIVELY juicy and the wife/kids don't care for charred fat as much as I do.
DSCN2803.jpg

DSCN2804.jpg

The flat......

So the moment of truth is here. Due to stuff happening around here, I had to let the flat rest 2-1/2 hours. It stayed very warm, and sliced up perfectly. The knife went thru just right; not much pressure needed - the meat sliced easily but didn't crumble. I was content with the recipe enough to use it as a baseline to modify in the future. I would use more sugar and possibly reduce the mustard and worcestershire for the rub. I like the idea of the wet rub, but a friend of mine who comp cooks warned me that it usually goes soft in the foil rest and wants to come off. I have to agree. The flavor was good, but I'm not sure I'd use mesquite with this recipe again, maybe something a little more subtle to let the beef shine through. I did make an au jus with some strained/defatted drippings and boullion. All in all, I'd give the flat a 7.5 and the burnt ends a solid 9 - those puppies were DEVINE!!! It sure was a fun cook! Thanks for looking!!
DSCN2806.jpg

DSCN2808.jpg

Back