I'd like to share something please

Countryboyswagger

Knows what a fatty is.
This may belong in the catering thread, but I'd like to share it here too, so that people know how much yall can help others with your combined knowledge and experience, and how much people can help each other, when interests are shared. In this case, it was barbecue.

A while back, my best friend got engaged and he and his fiance asked me to cater their wedding reception/backyard party. I said of course and got my UDS together. With that and my Weber OTS, I was ready to cater about 50 people some delicious pulled pork.

As the weeks went by, the guest list went from 50 to 125, and the food went from pulled pork to pulled pork and grilled chicken, beans, mac, cole slaw and corn on the cob. It was safe to say I was suddenly way over my head.

I knew that yall had tons of knowledge and advice, so this forum was the first place I came. (Well, the catering part of it anyway) I want to thank they guys who helped me out there again, just in case they don't really understand just how much they helped. They set me right on portions, tips and tricks, and ways to generally make everything more better. It all worked. They completely saved the day on that account.

I also didn't have enough capacity on my UDS so I was planning on making some more. Well, it turned out that I didn't have enough time to get them ready before the wedding (the guest list went up about 40 people in one day, about a week before the wedding)

Anyway, I called a couple of places around where I live to see if maybe I could rent a pit. In comes Custom Pits and Fabrication.

I know I've read on here that some people were unhappy about the smokers from Custom Pits and Fab. Just like to share something with yall and throw a little free advertising their way as a thank you to the guys working there.

I'd been looking at buying their A-1 Competition pit, but they didn't get very good reviews here on this forum. Exhaust problems, firebox problems, etc. I'd heard also that they'd fixed those and everything was working pretty good. Anyway, I figured this would be a great time to give one a try, since that is the exact model that they rent. Sadly, they were out of rentals. I was pretty upset but the guy on the phone, (Barry? I think that's right) said he didn't want to see me put in a bind catering my best friends wedding so they'd let me borrow one of the smokers that they don't usually rent out. Turns out, it was the company pit.

I was like hey that's cool, maybe it'll cook 80lbs of pork and grill a million chicken pieces. He just laughed and said it wouldn't be a problem.

So what I wound up with, thanks to the guys there, was a 10 ft reverse flow smoker with warming rack, with about a 3 foot charcoal grill, and two gas burners. All of this was on a trailer with a huge roof and two big overhangs. I never even felt the rain. And it rained all day.
It cooked beautifully, never even slowed down, and everything went perfectly. As far as the cooking goes, the guys at Custom Pits and Fab really saved my tail.

IMAG0410.jpg

IMAG0406.jpg

IMAG0412.jpg

So I'd like to say thanks again to everyone on this forum and to Custom Pits that helped turn my very first real catering gig for 125 into a completely awesome experience.

Very cool hookup you got there! Glad everything worked out for you...

I have said it before somewhere else, but BBQ folks are some of the best folks you'll ever meet.

Awesome job on turning out food for 125 people. That is definitely no small feat!

Also good on Custom Pits for hooking you up and making sure you were able to get it done. Going above and beyond and hearing the story that you told him will go a long way into people wanting to do business with Custom Pits.

That's awesome. It looks like Custom Pits and Fabrication are good people. That's a sweet looking rig. I bet you had fun cooking on that bad boy.

Yeah it was nothing to cook on. In fact, it was my first time (or second, counting my practice run the day I brought it home) on a pure wood burning smoker. After I got a nice bed of coals going, it was literally just throwing wood on and tinkering with the airflow. Never jumped more than 10 or 15 degrees without me doing something stupid. (Not that that happened...much)

Yeah it was nothing to cook on. In fact, it was my first time (or second, counting my practice run the day I brought it home) on a pure wood burning smoker. After I got a nice bed of coals going, it was literally just throwing wood on and tinkering with the airflow. Never jumped more than 10 or 15 degrees without me doing something stupid. (Not that that happened...much)

Did you notice a difference in the taste from cooking on an all wood pit compared to other heat sources? Man on here say the all wood cookers give a better overall taste/flavor.

OK-I'll ask, any pictures of the Bridesmaids????

Just kidding, if I only read one story today I'm glad I read this one. A whole lotta awesomeness going on your way :thumb::thumb:

Nice job by you and Custom Pits... That's how you build up business...

OK-I'll ask, any pictures of the Bridesmaids????

Just kidding, if I only read one story today I'm glad I read this one. A whole lotta awesomeness going on your way :thumb::thumb:

No, there was only the maid of honor. She was pretty but she didn't like barbecue (communist I guess). I didn't feel the need to use up good pictures to remember her.

Thanks for posting this. It's great to hear they steped up to help.you make a success of an awesome day

Wow very cool, great story and experience. No better feeling then when people come together to help you out from the goodness of their heart thats for sho...............

Back