I think this will work.

Inthewoods

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I've just been pondering the holiday stuffing. I have sourdough but I think I'll whip up a cream corn, habanero corn bread. I'll chop a few handfuls of pecan, toss some syrup over em and toast em.
Sweet onion, red and yellow pepper, celery sweated down...I'll keep the onion raw though.

Finely crumbled hot breakfast sausage.

Crumble up the corn bread add all the other mess, fat drippings and chicken broth.A couple beaten eggs

Thyme, parsley, rosemary, maybe nutmeg, maybe not...won't know till I test it.

Decent path?
Missing something?
I'm open ta criticism, there's a limit ta what I'll suffer though.

-D

I’m into how it sounds like it would taste… I’m not a huge fan of stuffing/dressing in general, but have never had a combo put together like what you have in mind either. Consider me intrigued…

I’m far from that creative, but I keep going back to the sweet pecans. Not sure about those, although we will be putting green apples and craisens in ours.

I’d sure like to try it though.

I’m far from that creative, but I keep going back to the sweet pecans. Not sure about those, although we will be putting green apples and craisens in ours.

I’d sure like to try it though.

What are ya not sure of in concern of the pecans? Get it out there as I'm only going ta town once.

-D

For what it’s worth from the guy meh about stuffing , I think the crunch of the sweet toasted pecans would be a great texture. Same for raw onion, even though I don’t particularly like raw onion.

What are ya not sure of in concern of the pecans? Get it out there as I'm only going ta town once.

-D

My wife’s the MSU person, I’m just the sous.

We think maybe the sweetness. So the toasted pecans will be good, leave out the syrup?

I’m really on the fence with it. Could balance out the habanero.

The more I think of it, light on the syrup. I really like some spice, it’s gonna be good.

Last edited:
There's a lot going on in there with the seasonings you're adding, which I like. If it were me, I'd ditch the red and yellow peppers, lest you have too many flavors competing for attention. Otherwise, sounds pretty good!

if you leave out the nutmeg, rosemary, pecans and syrup, you are not far from cornbread dressing enjoyed in SE Texas/SW La. We would use cayenne rather than habanero, but sounds interesting.

Does your cornbread recipe use sugar or not? If no, the sweetness of the candies pecans might be a nice note.

I'd also drop the red/yellow peppers as that would seem like the 3rd type of pepper (hapanero and whatever is the the breakfast sausage)

I would do the onions and celery the same way (either raw or sweated)

Also, depending on how big a batch you are making, 1 egg should be enough. More and you could end up making it too dense, especially since cornbread already has egg in it

Sticker shock. Passed on the pecans, just not possible ta justify the price. Feeling eyes on me, I had swiveled ta catch a senior lady watching me swearing at the pecans. Lit her up with me lamps and a grin, off I went with walnuts in tow. It's the ability ta bend not break on this silly holiday.

-D

Does your cornbread recipe use sugar or not? If no, the sweetness of the candies pecans might be a nice note.

I'd also drop the red/yellow peppers as that would seem like the 3rd type of pepper (hapanero and whatever is the the breakfast sausage)

I would do the onions and celery the same way (either raw or sweated)

Also, depending on how big a batch you are making, 1 egg should be enough. More and you could end up making it too dense, especially since cornbread already has egg in it

I'm using the jiffy box...68cent. If that doesn't say "Man of the times" I wouldn't be sure what does. I figure with everything else I'm throwing in there no one will notice. It's not as if the people coming are full of discerning tastes. I believe their diet runs the fast food circuit, so they probably won't like it unless I plopped it out between two sesame buns and topped it with f'ing 1000 island, but who knows.
This is more just me screwing around with holiday foods again.

-D

Back