THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Enrico Brandizzi

Babbling Farker
This is a sad story that I want to share with you looking for your HELP-

I started with a FROZEN 5 pound CAB steak.
I settled the 26 OTG with a very light snake method 2 in raw + rare 1 on top.
I was looking for 180-200F cook. No smoke added because some doesn't love it.
04:36 hours later the steak was 127F internal Temp.
Rubbed with carne crosta dry rub and Foiled and wrapped in blanket to rest.
Round 8 pm I was ready for searing action. 5 minutes total searing action and back in foil and blanket.
All went in tha gas oven settled to minimum with the door open. My Thermo said 150-160F inside the oven with the thermo clip on the blanket.
I THOUGHT THE BLANKET WOULD SHIELD MEAT FROM THE HIGH HEAT.
At 9:30 pm I unwrapped the meat and sliced it.
DISASTER!
It was all grey coast to coast. Heavily overdone. Still edible, but WHAT A DISASTER.
I can't do this way again in the future.
Please help me to find a easy way to store till dinner my allready done steak.
No cambro or Igloo box allowed or electric hoven (I can't buy one more. No more room in my kitchen).

IMG_9781 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9813 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9818 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9820 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9832 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9833 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9835 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9836 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9840 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9849 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

Thanks for stopping by.
Enrico

I would have been hard pressed not to take the knife and fork to it just after the last pic with the flame, beautiful!

Sorry, no great suggestions on the hold...

I bet when you pulled the steak at 127F it continues to climb up a bit more from the carry over to bring it to close to Medium 140F depending on how immediate the blanket wrap is.

4 hours is a mighty long time to reverse sear a ribeye in my experience. 1 hour tops for me.

Please help me to find a easy way to store till dinner my allready done steak.

You have to store at a lower temperature than the finished temperature. Your long hold time at a temperature above the finished temperature is going to slowly cook the food regardless of the "insulation" wrap.

Heat transfers through any insulation, just at a slower rate. When you hold something in an enclosed, insulated, heated area (an oven), at some point everything is in equilibrium (the same temperature). When it reaches that point, the steak will continue to cook.

Steaks (as I'm sure you know) are best cooked and then served immediately - not held for hours.

Either change your cooking schedule so the steak is seared and immediately served, or buy an insulated food storage container so that you're only containing the heat from the cooked steak and not adding additional heat.

The only thing I can think of is to turn your oven on at 150F and let it get up to temperature for 30 minutes to stabilize the interior and then turn it off and let it start cooling down. When the oven reaches 130F you could probably put your steak in the insulated blanket and hold it as the oven is at the finished temperature.

But, I have no idea how long you could hold it - you'll have to test the cooling cycle of your oven to determine how long it takes for it to cool down.

Last edited:
I will be of 0 help here....but I am questioning why you started with a frozen hunk-o-meat?

Im with Doug on this one. This is the second or third time just this morning people are starting with cold or near frozen steaks??? Did I miss the memo?

I start the cook with room temp meat thru and thru. Control your heat during the cook and a nuclear hot sear on the end to get that nice caramization and crust. Let it sit for maybe 20 min for a steak and get your chow on!!

Im with Doug on this one. This is the second or third time just this morning people are starting with cold or near frozen steaks??? Did I miss the memo?

Yeah...I had a problem with that too + why are you cooking for 4.5 hours if you're not smoking the meat? What's the point of the extended cooking time other than you have to thaw the meat during the cooking period?

The problem with cooking frozen meat is that you extend the time the food is in the "danger zone" of 40F-140F where bacteria and food-borne pathogens thrive.

Here's video of a frozen steak being cooked. He only rested for a few mins cover in foil.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm-Er9tMi8g"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm-Er9tMi8g[/ame]

The handful of times I've cooked frozen meat it oddly finishes in about the same time as thawed meat. I don't know why, but it just does. I've had ribs directly from the freezer cook in the exact same time as a rack right next to it that was out of the fridge. Mostly I've done low and slow type stuff though.

Your best option for holding like you are wanting to is buying a sous vide appliance. You can hold at your desired finish temp for about as long as you would like. You can use a large pasta pot with the circulator instead of having to add any items to your kitchen.

The handful of times I've cooked frozen meat it oddly finishes in about the same time as thawed meat. I don't know why, but it just does. I've had ribs directly from the freezer cook in the exact same time as a rack right next to it that was out of the fridge. Mostly I've done low and slow type stuff though.

Your best option for holding like you are wanting to is buying a sous vide appliance. You can hold at your desired finish temp for about as long as you would like. You can use a large pasta pot with the circulator instead of having to add any items to your kitchen.

Im thinking about it. But the online store is out of 220V for international buyers!
Thanks Man!

4.5 hours for a piece of meat measured in ounces, then rested for hours, then burned beyond recognition for 5 minutes to an IT of 150 something degrees? What result were you looking for?

I don't think the problem was the long cook or the fact that it looks like it was thrown on frozen. I think it was rested hot for too long which basically kept it cooking then it was seared which put it even further over.

Next time take it to 110-115 tops. Let it reat for 25 or so minutes uncovered then sear it for the crust. It wasn't a big roast so the long insulated rest kept it cooking.

The sear will put quite a bit of heat into the surface layer. I would recommend that you don't do the sear until you are ready to serve. Pulling at 127 is okay, but then vent a few minutes, wrap, and put it in the oven (off and cold, or just warmed slightly and turned off) to hold until you are ready to sear and serve.

Back