I can cross Picahna off of my "to-do" list...

ronbrad62

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Ron
I have seen so many picahna cooks here that I had to try it for myself and see what all of the fuss was about. Let me tell you, it is legit!!
I found some picahna in a local Publix and decided that now is the time. After a YouTube search, I found a video (Guga) that was pretty simple. I cut my picahna into steaks, dry-brined them with kosher salt for a few hours in the fridge and then lit the grill. I cooked them off to the side until I got an IT of 120* and then seared them over the coals. The flavor of the simple seasoning was incredible, and like Guga suggested, if you don't eat the fat you will make Brazilians upset, so I did. I can't believe that I waited so long to try it, but I will definitely be doing picahna on a regular basis.

Attachments

• IMG_20211217_110337187.jpg
    IMG_20211217_110337187.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_20211217_180539693.jpg
    IMG_20211217_180539693.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_20211217_182035125.jpg
    IMG_20211217_182035125.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_20211217_182413371.jpg
    IMG_20211217_182413371.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 203
Looks great and I agree…Picanha is where it’s at for sure. I can’t find it locally so I have to order it as whenever it is local, they always have the fat cap removed which of course is no good. I have SRF and porter road Picanha and the SRF is far better imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ron that's awesome and looks great!
Picahna is definitely legit.

After my Mom passed, my Dad remarried. His second wife was Brazilian. off the boat...er plane... Brazilian.
We used to have "Churrasco" (Brazilian BBO) at his house with his wife's friends.
I was so very fortunate to be introduced to authentic Picahna by authentic statesman.

My Dad is gone and his wife has since moved away but Picahna is still often made in our house.

SO glad that you can cross it off your list and continue to enjoy it

Great job Ron! Glad you tried and nailed it! Just salt is the way to go, but not too much like I did the first time. And that fat cap is like butta! Mmmm

For those who think they can't find it locally (like I was). If you have a grocery store with an actual meat department that cuts meat you can ask for it. We have top sirloin on sale here about almost every month, and the meat department cuts the roasts and steaks from the whole muscle that comes in cryovac. Just ask for the "top sirloin cap", (the whole thing, which is about 3 or 4 pounds) and tell them to leave the fat cap, because they tend to trim that off (at least they do around here). Once I figured it out, I can now get 'picanha' for less than lean ground beef when top sirloin is on sale. If I asked for picanha here I'd just get deere in the headlights I think. :-D

Last edited:
Back