THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

theTastyCat

Full Fledged Farker
Hey BBQ family! Doing a smaller comp next weekend and thinking of having some sausage for people to munch on while they're walking around. I made some hot links last year and they really didn't turn out that great, so I got to thinking what would be universally enjoyed...and thought of hot breakfast sausage!

Now the question is to how best prepare it; I've seen it put in big (3 or 4 inches in diameter) bags that almost look like cloth. I've also seen it just in a big heap covered in plastic at the store. If it's going to be cooked/smoked in the smoker alongside a lot of ribs, what's the best way for me to prepare it? I imagine if I just formed it into patties and put them in the smoker that I might lose a lot of rendered fat...but who knows! Might be perfect.

Thanks all!!

So, with a little effort you'll be sure to WOW your crowd with....

Dog Turds - - - okay, maybe you'll call them something else but these bite size morsels of sausage, jalapeno and cream cheese are a winner every time I've served them up.

Slice each jalapeno in half, scrape out the seeds and membrane, stuff with cream cheese, then quarter and half each half. Take breakfast sausage (Jimmy Dean Maple is da' bomb) and wrap around the jalapeno cream cheese - pinch the seam together and roll in your favorite rub. Smoke until done at whatever temp you like. Good Eats.

I present the obligatory money shot for your enjoyment......

img0970ab.jpg

Good God, TX!! Those are beautiful...I've done something similar with Scotch Eggs. But they ended up being giant in order to actually get the sausage to go all the way around the eggs...did you roll the sausage out to get it thin like that? And did you just use 1/2 a jalapeno each?

Slice each jalapeno in half, scrape out the seeds and membrane, stuff with cream cheese, then quarter and half each half.
Dog Turds! Love it, I need to make these! So you get eight pieces out of each Jalapeno?

Good God, TX!! Those are beautiful...I've done something similar with Scotch Eggs. But they ended up being giant in order to actually get the sausage to go all the way around the eggs...did you roll the sausage out to get it thin like that? And did you just use 1/2 a jalapeno each?

Thanks.... I get between 8 and 10 "slices" out of a chub of sausage depending how large the jalapenos are. I like to keep the final turd small enough for 2 to 3 bites each. Take each slice and pat it in the palm of your hand into an oval shape - wrap, seal and roll slightly to get the right shape.

Dog Turds! Love it, I need to make these! So you get eight pieces out of each Jalapeno?

Yes - 8 is about right, again depending on how large the peppers are. Also, I overfill each initial half with cream cheese rather than smooth with the top of the pepper. I'll also trim off the sharp ends of the pepper so it doesn't poke thru the sausage. You'll get a better idea on the desired ratios with some practice. Here in Texas the jalapenos can get very large so the number of pieces per pepper vary depending on the season.

Couple of chopped Fattys mixed with cream cheese, shredded smoked Gouda and sour cream. Add chopped smoked jalapeños. Serve with all types of crackers.

That sounds stupidly good!

A couple of suggestions for the D/T's shown above.

If you plan to garnish your plate with "grass" (parsley, etc.) let the D/T's cool down or spray the garnish with olive oil or similar - it keeps the grass from sticking.

Also, try not to cook over 300* - I prefer 250* or so. Too hot and the sausage will shrink and split at the seam.

Back