THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aceman

Knows what a fatty is.
My FIL has a buddy that gets his cows butchered locally. My FIL does work for him and in turn, free meat.
My FIL got me some brisket to smoke, bot it's cut up into 3 pieces vertically (ie. Not point and flat). I'd like to throw it on this weekend, but how do I smoke it? Will it come out good?

What temp and wood do you recommend?

Thanks, Rob

Cook them like you would cook any other brisket. I use hickory when I smoke brisket. Since the pieces are smaller than normal, they will cook faster then a full brisket. Keep an eye on them and pull when they pass the wiggle test. (Internal temp between 205 and 215)

That stinks. I am sure they are used to cutting them up to grind. As said above they may cook quicker. Should turn out okay.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

We used to buy local beef and would get the cut up briskets. The small town butcher told me he had to cut it into small pieces to fit in his packaging machine. It’s pretty hard to make something good out of those pieces. My advice is to cook hot and fast and wrap early. Low and slow on the small pieces ends up like jerky.

I've seen some brisket disasters from so called 'custom processors' who think they are doing you a favor to cutting up a brisket. That said, I've cooked half-briskets for years, it's a sound method.

jxyCXtA.jpg

Naturally one half will have slightly more point meat. My drill is to cook both at the same time, then ice bath one for freezing. The only difference is the slices from the flat are only half as long. :mrgreen:

J2XbW0Z.jpg

I use the same pit temp, 275°, and I like nut woods like pecan, hickory or oak.

Ditto what everyone else has said.

From time to time, I have cut pork butt into 3rds so it would cook in roughly same amount of time as ribs. That occurred when something did not go according to plans.

Back