holding turkey

Tkruse

Knows what a fatty is.
I have my turkey brining with harvest brine as we speak. We have our thanksgiving on Wed and leave for the desert on Thursday morning. My questions is on holding...

If I would like for my turkey to be done smoking 1-1.5 HR before serving, how would everyone recommend holding until serving? Maybe in an oven? I've never held a turkey in a cooler, but i have done brisket and pulled pork that way. Please advise. Andy and all suggestions are welcome and encouraged. Thanks in advance.

Most ovens bottom out at 170* so while that would be fine for the dark meat, the breast meat would probably start drying out. Holding it in a warm cooler may work for a short spell like an hour, but you'll loose the crispy skin(if that matters to you).

I wonder if you just fired up the oven to 250* and turned it off. Then put your turkey in the oven while it's cooling down. If that would hold it without drying it out.

Someone with better advice, or experience doing this will chime in. I haven't done either method. Just thinking out loud.

Chris

If you don’t have a cooler big enough hold your bird put in the oven wrapped in towels without turning oven on. Or you could pre warm oven for a little bit. Ovens are insulated fairly well

pull a bit before done and use the lowest oven setting to coast home. pellet cookers are good for this also. I've used the microwave as a holding cabinet a few times with success too. just pop it in there after a 15 min cool down....just don't turn it on

Back