HnF Pork Butt w/ foiling and finishing sauce PICS

QQQ

I picked up 2 butts, 8 and 9 lbers, to throw on the drum this weekend. It's only my 3rd cook so I'm still skowering the interwebs reading about different methods and trying to figure out what works best for me, and by me I mean recipes my wife will like lol. I wanted to try hot and fast and stumbled across a write up from PatioDaddio so I used that for a point of reference http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126510

Friday night I rubbed those pretty butts heavy with Ployboys Yardbird. Covered in plastic to rest overnight. I wanted to try making some sauces and had found some recipes on another forum:

JJ’s Sweet Foiling Sauce

[FONT=&quot]2T Vinegar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1T Pork Rub[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/2 Stick Butter[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/2C Syrup or Honey[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4C Apple Juice[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1T Molasses[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Optional:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2T Mustard and 1/4C Ketchup to make it more KC Style Glaze
Simmer over medium heat until a syrup consistency

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]JJ's Tangy Finishing Sauce – Pulled Pork[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2C Apple Cider Vinegar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2T Worcestershire Sauce or more to taste[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4C Brown Sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1T Smoked Paprika[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 tsp Granulated Garlic[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 tsp Granulated Onion[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 tsp Fine Grind Black Pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 tsp Celery Salt[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Chipotle powder. Add more if you like Heat[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/2 tsp Allspice[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Whisk and let rest at least 30 mins to let the flavors meld[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The sweet foiling sauce was well, SWEET. Too sweet for my taste to be used alone, but mixed in with the pork gave a nice flavor. The vinegar finishing sauce is legit, like straight up drink it legit. I fired up the drum on Saturday with KBB with 2 chunks of pecan 2 chunks apple wood. Set the guru to 325* and went back inside to inject my butts. I used 1/2C apple juice 1/2C apple cider vinegar and 3T [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Worcestershire. Added another dusting of yardbird and on to the drum fat side down.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]After 3.5 hours the color looked good to me and IT was 165* so I wrapped with about half the foiling sauce on all sides. Put back on the pit fat side up.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Another 2 hours and the IT was 202*. Started checking with the probe and it was real tender in most spots. One of those things that will come with experience but the foil gave some false drag until i opened up the holes a little bit. They felt pretty good so I pulled them off the drum and stacked the butts in a cooler, towel wrapped and let rest for 1.5 hours. When I took them out of the cooler they were still almost 200*! Let rest for 30 minutes on the counter then pulled. Bone slid right out and pulled very easy. Mixed in some more rub, foiling sauce and all of the finishing sauce. It was so tender and juicy, the sweet sauce and tangy vinegar sauce was real nice, neither too overpowering.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We made sandwiches and street tacos with homemade sweet potato fries. Everyone loved the meat, and no one went for the bottle sauce, or any sauce at all for that matter everyone just kept saying I've never had pulled pork that wasn't dry didn't need sauce. Mission accomplished. None of these methods or recipes were my own so I have to thank the people that came before me.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Some things I learned from the cook:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Im sure there are still tons of people cooking low and slow, but with an end product as good as this I can't imagine any better results or advantages to low and slow.[/FONT]
- The sweet foiling sauce was good in moderation mixed in the meat but IMO is too sweet to be used as a stand alone sauce.
- Since this is my first time making PP I don't know if injecting made a huge difference, but it sure was juicy so I'll probably keep injecting in the future.
- I think I could have gone a little longer before the foil, the bark was good but I want more, don't we all.
- I think the purpose of the foil in hot and fast is to protect the meat from getting too charred with the higher temps as opposed to pushing you through the stall with lower temps. I get that, but I feel like it made the bark kind of mushy and soft. It was still delicious, but not like a nice brisket bark.
- I think butcher paper would solve that problem and still shield the meat from getting too charred. Let me know what you think.

If you've made it this far thanks for reading my babble. Long posts should be count x5 on your post count :clap2:[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Back