Heritage pork

Captain Porkard

Knows what a fatty is.
I was wondering what everybody thinks about using heritage breed pork for comps? I've been getting all my meats from Costco so for, but I was thinking about using Berkshire or Duroc for my butts. I don't want to switch my ribs, I got second place on our first comp so I'm sold on those! I also get prime grade brisket from Costco and don't see the point in wagyu for BBQ. I know it's got more marbeling, but I don't think it helps enough to offset the price. A local top team used one at a recent comp and was in the bottom third while a SAMs club got first. But I keep thinking about changing my pork. Any thoughts would be most appreciated!!

you're going to get a lot of opinions on this. I would just try them for yourself and see if you like the results.

i have found that the duroc butts are a little smaller

Yeah I've only tried it once and that is not a big sample size. But it wasn't worth the extra cost. Take that for what it's worth. I don't think there is a lot of teams or really any (maybe a couple if I had to guess) that cook it regularly.

I will not hesitate to spend extra money on product if I think it helps me.

That said, in my experience, pork butts are the category where brand and breed make the least amount of difference. I select butts based mainly on the appearance of the money muscle.

I've been getting consistent top 5 pork so far this year, and it's all been commodity pork from different processors.

We've finished 6th in the country in Pork with standard, everyday Smithfield's or Indiana Packers pork butts. Save your money. Concentrate on flavor profile instead.

I cooked with a fellow who tried some of that fancy pork a few weeks back. Both of us disliked the stuff and the judges agreed: finished in the bottom third. He said he was switching back to "normal" butts.

Some of those "Duroc" teams also have several wins this year and are at the top of the pork standings so they might just be in it for the $20,000 Smithfield is handing out.

That is because they are good cooks. I doubt they would give up their chances of winning in the 2016 season by cooking Smithfield ribs instead of Duroc if they really made that much of a difference. $10,000 and some product are what some of those cooks are capable of winning in a couple contests.

Back