THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bigr314

Babbling Farker
I am going to try to smoke some trout for the first time. I have 4 whole trout about a pound each that have been gutted with heads on. My plan was to just put them on the smoker at about 200-225 for 3 to 4 hours. Any input would be great. Finally got the Boss Hogg dug out from the snowstorm! Thanks so much.

I've brined and smoked them on an old Brinkman smoker years ago. Never fell apart. I removed the heads, and placed them on the grate, slit side down. I made sure the slit was spread apart.

I just smoked some tilapia for lunch. @225-235 it took 45 min for 5 fillets, and they were awesome! Lightly season, add some SPG and let it go. I used a foil lined cookie sheet.

I've done trout. Get some fresh dill and lemons. Slice the lemons and place inside the trout along with the dill. Smoke for 2 hours and check temp. Pull when they hit 160. I did mine on cedar planks. The planks really don't do anything in a smoker. They are.for.when you cook over direct fire.

For many years, we raised trout in cages over the winter in our pond. Upon harvest in the spring, we always had a big party and of course served smoked trout. Ours dressed out at about 1.5-2 pounds. We smoked slow and tried a variety of woods. The best were smoked over fruit wood (apple, pear or plum). All were seasoned with salt and pepper. We placed thin slices of lemon and a bit of dill inside some. Others had a bit of rosemary. Some were just plain. Adding herbs only made a slight difference in the final product.

Low temp (200-225 degrees) took about 2 hours.

They are great served "plain" or made into a dips or used in a variety of fancy presentations (think finger foods or salads). Also good as fish cakes. Grilled lemon halves are great for a spritz of flavor upon serving. Skin on trout are not likely to break up in the smoker if you handle them gently.

Back