Help me with a 250 gallon build

MatthewC

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Ok, I have gotten a 250 gallon propane tank and a bass/ski boat trailer. The axle housing on the trailer is adjustable so I am going to shorten it as much as I can. Here are my thoughts, I know the reverse flow seems to be the most popular but I am leaning toward something a little different. From fender to fender my trailer is 8 feet wide. My tank is 8 feet long. I want to turn the tank sideways on the trailer instead of running lengthways. Then instead of an offset box I want to build a rectangle box for coals and cut the bottom of my tank open and weld the firebox directly to bottom of tank. This will put my coals about 24" below meat rack. I will use a burn barrel to get coals. I will also put a grate in the bottom of the tank about 12" below meat for grilling. This will be more of a cooker instead of a total smoker.

What are your thoughts and opinions?

Anyone who has something similar I would like pros and cons.

Thanks

I would go with a T design with the fire box in the center with baffles at the top of the firebox to divert the heat right and left, still go reverse flow with the stack in the center of the pit.

Smokin J that sounds very interesting. I have never seen that. Do you have any pictures or a link to information about that design?

Smokin J that sounds very interesting. I have never seen that. Do you have any pictures or a link to information about that design?
Sorry I was late getting back with you, but yeah its pretty much the same idea, saves alot of wood since almost all of the heat is transfered into the cooking chamber, about the only thing I would also recomend is going with legs on both ends, being supported only by the center it looks like it would be easy to tip over if your not careful.

Back