Help me get rid of my propane tanks

I don't understand the reluctance to run gas lines, if you are capable to do the same with black iron pipe for water, or compressed air, you should be capable to run gas pipe.

I ran all the gas pipe into my house when I started with natural gas, using black iron pipe, and gas rated valves. When the utility guy came to inspect it before he made the initial turn-on, he said it looked better than what he sees from many licensed plumbers. I had over 140' feet of pipe, and branches to 6 appliances. He turned the gas on, and hit every joint and fitting with his gas sensor, didn't find a single leak.

Just be careful, and use good workmanship practices. Remember, gas service is at about 1/4 pound per square inch, so it doesn't take much to keep it inside the pipe.

These are not your Fathers propane tanks. Quick connect is fine like cowgirl said as check valves are built into the newer 20lb bottles. You will need a scale to weigh it in when filling. I would not tamper with the regulators on your cooking rigs and a full propane tank with a full 20# gas charge should not exceed 37# as with a DOT Blue Rhino etc. Fill it to 35# to be on the safe side. Make sure your scale is accurate and remember it will fill faster depending on outdoor temp. I would refill too. I have to take my tanks to Tractor Supply for a refill. You would be doing the same thing. Just my .02.

Gas grills have regulators and may need to be removed to work properly, the line coming off the tank will have a regulator on it, the tank company dosent care what you do with the gas as they are only liable for the tank , only way to tell is test the grill after the gas is hooked up

Propane gear will have all the fittings you need
https://propanegear.com/

The above is a great resource. After a quick tour of the website, it appears as if they will have everything you will need to accomplish your task. They also have brand specific supply hoses.

Otherwise, go to a hardware store for the brass fittings.

The below link has a lot of parts. I think the above link website is better. I have talked with the miserable guy that answers the phone to the below link a couple times for a project I was working on and let's just say he was less than helpful. And whatever you do, do not mention Amazon.

https://propanewarehouse.com/

Good luck,

Robert

Sheesh, whole lot of people who should never be trusted with a screw driver. Spray bottle filled with water and a capfull of dish detergent (Dawn, whatever). Spray all joints/connections and look for bubbles. 1/2" npt pressure gauges with a compressed air fitting, charge to 25psi and hold for 30 minutes, shutoff or disconnected from lpg tank of course. Available from same place you get the fittings, this is what the building inspectors use, or used to anyway.
Not to downplay the dangers of gas leaks, but anyone competent with hand tools can plumb a gas line and check for integrity.

I had propane run to my deck when my house was built. Then I bought the Weber quick connect kit to connect my grill.

A couple of things to keep in mind. You need to know that the pressure is regulated coming into your house (which is usual) and that you are running your line after it is regulated. Then you will be removing the regulator from your grill.

Even with the kit from Weber I had a fitting issue. The hose on the new line was female as was the connection on the metal gas line from the grill. Now, I could connect the hose directly to the grill but this is too close to the burners and the rubber would catch fire. So as you can see in this picture I had to get fittings to connect the 2 female ends. No leaks, no problems.

DIxtT4U.jpg

I have two leased 250 gal tanks to run my pool heater, which is right nest to where I cook. I got a quote from the propane company to add a bar with three hookups next to the heater - $865. I decided that I can swap a whole lot of Blue Rhinos before that breaks even.

I had a similar experience with running a natural gas line to my gas grill and converting. While I have run black iron inside I really did not want to tackle a buried line and they wanted like $600. That's 50 tank refills for me and I like to be able to move my grill around. With the cover on it makes an excellent windbreak for my smokers.

For me, One 100# tank beats Four 20# tanks. :wink:

On the flip side, working on the side after the regulator is pretty simple if you have basic common sense and skills with hand tools.

With soapy water and GAS RESISTANT pipe thread sealer, it is pretty easy to figure out if your lines are good. Inch-pounds can still cause problems, especially in enclosed spaces but, in an outdoor grill setting is pretty low risk for most locations and normal disapation rates assuming you have a small leak that goes undetected (i.e. if your 20# tank on the geezer grill leaks down over time, you have a small leak somewhere even if you shut it off after use).

Back