Help me get rid of my propane tanks

Hoosier1960

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Harold
The gas for my house is propane. It seems kind of silly to me to refill 20lb tanks when I have a 1,000 gallon in the ground. I can run the pipe to the outside, but where do I get the fittings to hook up to my Blackstone and Weber propane grill? Also what are the thoughts on using quick connects and best place to purchase those? Thanks in advance!

I wouldn’t trust quick connects. Your risk tolerance is very unlikely to be higher than mine, and I’m not about to risk the consequences of a propane leak with a 1000 gallons feeding it. Unless I’m intentionally trying to create a BLEVE. Which I might, but you shouldn’t. Google BLEVE if you’re unfamiliar.

For similar reasons I’d be very careful about running the hardline to supply your grill etc. especially if you’re in a jurisdiction that requires licenses and inspections. Or maybe even moreso if you’re in one that doesn’t. Use steel pipe schedule 40. NPT fittings. Ball valves to isolate the outlet. Look around and you can find regulators (https://www.grillparts.com/profire/grillparts.asp?product_id=PR-4) and hoses with NPT threading, just match up all the appropriate threads and you’ve got it.

Last edited:
I would get a heat and air contractor to run the lines to make sure they are up to code. black iron is what they require around here , you will love not having to fill tanks, a simple turn off valve before the quick disconnect will work fine and be safe. that's how campers are outfitted and they are federally approved to haul down the road lol put a cover over the fitting when not in use to keep water out and from freezing.

I have tried talking to my propane provider many times and they will not sell any fittings nor talk to me about any of this. I have been dealing with gas and propane lines for many years. I ran the line to my gas dryer in 1993 when I moved here. I do appreciate all the advice from all the brethren and I agree, most people should not do this themselves.

I have tried talking to my propane provider many times and they will not sell any fittings nor talk to me about any of this. I have been dealing with gas and propane lines for many years. I ran the line to my gas dryer in 1993 when I moved here. I do appreciate all the advice from all the brethren and I agree, most people should not do this themselves.

I would try giving Hank Hill a call over at Strickland propane, he'll be able to set you straight. Hank is my goto guy for all my propane and propane accessories

I would put a plug in my quick connect. Then if anyone accidentally messes with the valve, you’re still safe. If you hook up to your large tank, you will still need a regulator for your grill. The pressure in the tank is much greater than you need. Try to get some help...and not the fire dept.

Easy - push your gasser to the curb and buy a charcoal and/or pellet grill.

Weber sells a bulk liquid propane kit. Call them with your model number and they can get you what you need. I believe it will come with the quick-disconnect fittings and a flexible line to go to your grill. You'll still need to have a hard line plumbed to the location of the grill.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but if you are qualified to do this why are you asking people for help on a BBQ forum?

I would put a plug in my quick connect. Then if anyone accidentally messes with the valve, you’re still safe. If you hook up to your large tank, you will still need a regulator for your grill. The pressure in the tank is much greater than you need. Try to get some help...and not the fire dept.

This is where you have to be careful.

Depending on where the regulator for the tank/household supply is and where you tap into the supply line determines whether or not you need a regulator at the patio toys.

If you tap into the house supply after the tank regulator I believe you should be at proper pressure.

If you tap into the house supply line before the regulator you definitely need to keep your existing regulators on the patio toys.

This *may* also determine the threads on the fittings. High pressure and low pressure may use different threads. Knowing the proper pressure per sq. in. is where a professional earns their salary.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but if you are qualified to do this why are you asking people for help on a BBQ forum?

I have no problem with running the line. I did not know where to get the fittings to hook up the 2 cookers. I of course would also put a shut off where it comes outside. I am pretty thick skinned so no offense taken ;)

Do you own the tank or leave it from the supplier? If you own the tank, plumb away. On the other hand if you lease, you will need the suppliers blessing (which in our litigious world, is unlikely). So far as fittings, either supplyhouse.com or grainger.com should be able to fill all your needs. Be sure your installation complies with local codes to avoid running afoul with your insurance provider.

No way I would DIY a propane line. Hire a professional.

I have two leased 250 gal tanks to run my pool heater, which is right nest to where I cook. I got a quote from the propane company to add a bar with three hookups next to the heater - $865. I decided that I can swap a whole lot of Blue Rhinos before that breaks even.

Back