Has anyone heard of Harper Barbecue Pits out of Costa Mesa CA?

gambler

Knows what a fatty is.
I'm currently in the market for an offset smoker, and don't want to pay shipping fees. So I was looking for local retailers or builders and I came across this guy in a craigslist post. Has anyone ever used his pits or heard any good or bad things about them?

Apparently they were featured in OC Weekly (the local paper for Orange County) and they are opening up an actual restaurant where they will also be selling their backyard pits.

Here is their instagram page:
https://www.instagram.com/harperbarbecue/?hl=en

I have exchanged some messages with them on Instagram. They are fairly responsive and their pits look good. I also messaged somebody who had recently purchased one from them and they seemed to be happy with the builder and the pit. I probably would have placed an order with them but a used Kat 24x60 popped up within driving distance.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

There's something nostalgic and pure about an "unfinished" smoker, but give me paint every day of the week.

Some of those pictures look pretty good and some of them the firebox is too low/not enough overlap = Poor Drafting
Ask TexAg about that...........

Some of those pictures look pretty good and some of them the firebox is too low/not enough overlap = Poor Drafting
Ask TexAg about that...........

Oh Smitty, you sound jealous because it's not made in Texas...:laugh:

Oh Smitty, you sound jealous because it's not made in Texas...:laugh:

Not at All, I like them made in Mexico.........Facts is Facts - like Farmers Insurance says “ Smitty knows a thing or 2 cuz he’s seen a thing or 2 ......”
Ask TxAggie76

I’ve actually posted a couple different threads on Cali pit builders.......

Last edited:
Not at All, I like them made in Mexico.........Facts is Facts - like Farmers Insurance says “ Smitty knows a thing or 2 cuz he’s seen a thing or 2 ......”
Ask TxAggie76

I’ve actually posted a couple different threads on Cali pit builders.......

Got your leg....
Pullin it..... :rolleyes::laugh:

I don't know your price range but check out Meadowcreek- a really good smoker and there are some dealers in CA

His stuff looks really good. Exchanged some messages with him as well. Last I checked he was at about a 4 month wait.

Oh wow! I met him at a Superbowl party a couple years ago before he launched his business. Glad he's busy. Gotta make time and stop by his shop one of these days.

First off, thanks for all your replies. So this morning right after I made this post, I headed out to JH Smokers. I saw an earlier thread about this guy, which SmittyJonz also posted a link to here. I was already planning to head out there, but saw those guys in Costa Mesa on craigslist and just wondered how goodl their pits were. Anyway, I met Justin from JH Smokers and he is a super cool guy. His pit builds were high quality, so I ended up putting down a deposit for a 48"X24" Reverse Flow Smoker.

Also he has a 36"X20" Reverse Flow Smoker brand new that he has for sale ready to go. I told him I would post it here with pics. So I'll do that on a new thread.

Thanks again guys for all the input. Much appreciated!!!

I put a deposit down on a pit from Harper Pits a couple months ago. Patiently awaiting delivery now :grin:

They look like Franklin designs to me

I keep seeing comments like this when people post up new builders.

Not sure what they are trying to point out. Good design? Blatant rip off? /dunno.

Back