Happy 4th of July from a N00B!

Smoke_at_Altitude

Got Wood.
I was validated here last night!!! WOOT!

I've been reading this forum for weeks now, great stuff here!!! Finally signed up yesterday morning.

About me..I live in Thornton, CO (just north of Denver) ... I've been out of the Q game for a while but just recently acquired a Weber kettle. I had my heart set on a Weber gas grill but was talked out of that when my sister and brother in law visited us in early June. My brother in law is all about the charcoal.

So he and I set out one evening on a quest to find me a charcoal grill, I was looking at the barrel style. We went to Home Depot, Lowes, Sam's Club but got skunked...figured it was late in the season and nobody had much inventory. Last stop was Walmart and I was eyeing a Kingsford and a Char Griller ... neither of which were impressing me with their quality construction..anyway, I was in a sea of Weber Kettles when I looked down and saw a price sticker on the handle of one ... $68.00.... hmm....opened the lid, saw the manual... "Weber Original Kettle Premium". WHAT?!?! Those go for $149.00 I thought to myself. I stood back and took a longer look at these ... The sticker said Jumbo Joe... (I later googled these and this is NOT what I was looking at). I told my brother in law to help me find the most stable one (they were all pre-assembled) and we walked out of there with a new Weber Kettle for $72 after tax!

I asked the lady that rung me up about this grill ... she said "I don't know, I just work here." So I still don't know what the deal was but I'm guessing they just wanted to move these. I thought about returning and buying them out. :)

Today's menu:

Great forum here! I just spent hours reading through a couple of the UDS threads... lol... good stuff..and yes, I already have thoughts of building one and have found a local source for a drum.

Happy 4th all!

Can't go wrong with a kettle especially at that price!

Back