Contest Results Greenport Harbor Blues & BBQ

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Greenport Harbor Blues and BBQ

A big thank you to all the teams and judges that came out for this first year event. We had much stronger attendance than anticipated. Willie B's sold out of food on both days. The People's Choice Ribs had the demand exceed the quantity.

Teams received free beer, free bagels on Saturday, free wifi, free ice, each team got a free pizza Saturday night and breakfast on Sunday.

We hope that you had a great time and that we will see you next year.

Congratulations to everyone that walked and thanks to Don and Nancy, the Event Reps.

People's Choice

1 Smokin' Irish
2 Kiss My Brisket
3 Dawg Pound Smokin' Que

CHEF'S CHOICE (must utilize a beer from the brewery)

1 BABYLON GRILLBILLIES 168.0228
2 CHUBBY HUBBY BBQ 167.4400
3 BBQ BRETHREN 166.3200
4 ROLLING GRILL BBQ 166.3084
5 KISS MY ASH 159.4284

CHICKEN

1 GRIM REAPER SMOKERS 173.1544
2 STUBBORN BULL BBQ 172.0116
3 MOON RIVER BARBEQUE 172.0000
4 R2-BQ 167.9884
5 RHODE HOG BBQ 166.8800
6 BABYLON GRILLBILLIES 166.8456
7 BLAZIN' BUTTZ BBQ 166.2856
8 CHUBBY HUBBY BBQ 164.5828
9 Morning Wood BBQ 164.0116
10 Pop Bang Cue 162.8800

RIBS

1 Pop Bang Cue 170.8344
2 DAWG POUND SMOKIN' Q 169.6800
3 RHODE HOG BBQ 168.5828
4 STUBBORN BULL BBQ 166.8800
5 ROLLING GRILL BBQ 166.8228
6 GOTHAM CITY GRILLERS 165.7372
7 Willie B's BBQ 165.1316
8 TEAM BIGBARRYQ 163.4744
9 R2-BQ 162.8572
10 Morning Wood BBQ 162.7884

PORK

1 BBQ BRETHREN 177.1428
2 GOTHAM CITY GRILLERS 173.7144
3 BLAZIN' BUTTZ BBQ 167.4056
4 R2-BQ 165.1200
5 RHODE HOG BBQ 161.1084
6 CHUBBY HUBBY BBQ 160.5488
7 STUBBORN BULL BBQ 159.3828
8 SMOKIN IRISH 153.7028
9 Morning Wood BBQ 153.1316
10 EASTERN BEAST BBQ TEAM 151.9428

BRISKET

1 R2-BQ 169.7028
2 RHODE HOG BBQ 167.4400
3 BLAZIN' BUTTZ BBQ 166.8684
4 BBQ BRETHREN 163.9888
5 EASTERN BEAST BBQ TEAM 162.8800
6 STUBBORN BULL BBQ 157.6340
7 Morning Wood BBQ 154.8344
8 BABYLON GRILLBILLIES 153.1088
9 GOTHAM CITY GRILLERS 151.4056
10 Willie B's BBQ 151.3600

OVERALL

1 R2-BQ 665.6684
2 RHODE HOG BBQ 664.0112
3 BBQ BRETHREN 657.0744
4 STUBBORN BULL BBQ 655.9084
5 BLAZIN' BUTTZ BBQ 647.9196
6 GOTHAM CITY GRILLERS 644.5028
7 Morning Wood BBQ 634.7660
8 BABYLON GRILLBILLIES 630.1600
9 Pop Bang Cue 627.9312
10 MOON RIVER BARBEQUE 623.8968

Thanks to all who came out to compete. It was a lot of fun helping out and then seeing the teams appreciate what we did. Thank you all for the nice feedback and thank you for pointing out the issue you saw in a constructive manner. You can do everything right and still miss the mark sometimes but I think we hit on almost all cylinders. Whats great is we have room for improvement next year over a contest most already say was well run.

Kudos to Brian Collins (Ma's Que) for his tireless dedication to this event. Without him much of this wouldn't have happened. From his intimate knowledge of the Suffolk County Health dept. to his many sleepless night getting things ready Brian went above and beyond to assure a great contest. His outlook on the organization was invaluable in assuring a great contest. As a competitor himself he drew on issues he remembered of other contests to address them before they occurred. Through it all he kept his patience. Even when a lesser man would have exploded just to feel the relief he kept it together and did what he needed to do. Never did i see him throw his hands up and say "enough", even when he threatened too. :)

Now a round of applause for Eric Devlin. Through it all he was the tortoise. Not that he was in the corner dragging his feet and crawling into his shell but that he was the epitome of slow and steady. Each day it seemed he had amazingly rolled out another grand slam for the event. From the multiple raffle items that made oodles of dollars for the Wounded Warrior Project to the meticulous attention to detail in following up on unfinished business to him being a contest liaison to many of the contributors he really stepped up in this instance. A face of Long Island BBQ and deservedly so.

I'd like to thank the venue and the owners Rich and John. Their lack of BBQ event experience was well countered by their willingness to listen to Brian, Eric and the others involved on just how a contest should be run. Never did they say "No we won't do that" or "Thats too much money/time/effort". They really took a leap of faith with us and we are all glad they did. We hadn't made it through Saturday's Rib event when Rich was talking about next year. There is nothing better than an involved sponsor.

To the teams, as always, we owe a debt of gratitude to you. Thank you for coming down to participate. Thank you for having confidence in a first year contest so far out on the Island. A special thanks to those who participated in the People's Choice. Without you we couldn't have raised so much for the Wounded Warriors. We wouldn't have been able to involve the public in such a nice way. We wouldn't have had so much positive feedback to assure confidence in next years contest for both the organizers and the venue owners. As always this is ultimately the teams who make or break the event and you all did your part, some more than others, to make this contest a great one.

Finally I am going to be a little selfish and proud here because I think its due and so may many of you. My final thanks goes to my wife Julie (WannaBeBBQueen). Not an official part of the organization staff nor a competitor this weekend she is probably what most teams would consider the face of the contest. Both days she cracked the whip on me and made sure I made it to the site in a timely fashion. Each day when we arrived she hit the ground running. When there was a complaint she was fielding them when their was need for someone to walk around and see how the teams were doing she was already on top of it. When questions arose she answered them immediately or found the proper answer when she was unsure. She normally doesn't officially volunteer for the staff but always ends up contributing more than would be expected. Bravo Honey I love you.

Here is to next year. May it be better than this year if thats possible. Please feel free to PM me any issues you may have dealt with that you feel we can address for next year.

Thanks to Rich, Brian, Skip and Eric...this was a fantastic year for a 1st year event!! The list of ideas for next year is long, if anyone feels that there is a way we can make it better, please don't hesitate!! Can't wait!!

Skip I love you too...so where's the next contest? lol

I had such a great time. Thanks to everyone who organized the event. We felt so very welcomed by all those in charge, all those who were volunteers, and all the competitors. Special thanks to John, Eric, Brian, and Julie who always seemed to be there when there was a need, and make sure all was good.

I'm glad that you were able to join us, Rob. Congrats on your first event. The standard rule is that if you turned in everything on time and learned a bunch, your first comp was a success.

Hopefully we will see you at the Maples.

Eric

Thanks to Rich, Brian, Skip and Eric...this was a fantastic year for a 1st year event!! The list of ideas for next year is long, if anyone feels that there is a way we can make it better, please don't hesitate!! Can't wait!!

Ditto. This was a great contest despite the weather (it was rough :help:). Thanks to all the people that made this happen and all the people that helped during the contest. Made some new friends and saw a lot of old friends. Put a face to a few Brethren on the forum. It was good to see so many Brethren competing. Eric, I'll make you a turkey for this one :clap:

Congrats to R2-BQ and Rhode Hog BBQ and all that got a walk (patting myself on the back :second: for ribs and 3rd for People's Choice)

Dawg Pound Smokin' Q

Someone should also say a word or twenty of thanks to Skip, who was indefatigable in finding the donations without which the event could never have come off and then carting all that stuff around, as well as being a wellspring of knowledge of "what do we do next?"

Now, on to Manorville, where I for one intend to sit on my fat ash all weekend.

Great weekend. Just need to work on the weather!! Venue was good, beer was cold. Nice time.
To Julie, Skip or Brian, not sure who made that chili but I need the recipe!!!

Awesome Event, can't wait till next year!!!! Congrats to R2-BQ for GC, Rhode Hog for RGC and all who walked. Thanks to Skip, Julie, Brian, Eric and everyone involved with the event, you guys ran a great contest.:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Oh just one little minor suggestion for next year......

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE NO RAIN!!!!
:grin::rain::rain::rain::rain:

Awesome Event, can't wait till next year!!!! Congrats to R2-BQ for GC, Rhode Hog for RGC and all who walked. Thanks to Skip, Julie, Brian, Eric and everyone involved with the event, you guys ran a great contest.:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Oh just one little minor suggestion for next year......

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE NO RAIN!!!!
:grin::rain::rain::rain::rain:

It rained by you?????

Back