Granules or Powder

Iroquois

Knows what a fatty is.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Scott
I've been using garlic and onion powders in my rubs forever. A lot of the recipes call for granulated garlic/onion, but I have not used it because I can't find them near me.

I'm really curious if there is a notable difference in using granules, and worth buy them on-line? Thank you for your feedback.

I have come across a few articles that say granulated is more course than powder. So, I was wondering if that affects the texture or not. Other places talk about powder has a longer shelf life. Just curious.

I think its splitting hairs. We're not talking haute cuisine for Q purposes here. :p

Same here. Powder is powder. Granules is just a fancier term.

I have both onion and garlic in powder and granule form and there’s definitely a difference in size - I prefer granulated in most cases, especially when it comes to cooking something that will form a bark, I find the granule spices to be better for that.

I have come across a few articles that say granulated is more course than powder. So, I was wondering if that affects the texture or not. Other places talk about powder has a longer shelf life. Just curious.
Correct, granules is more coarse then powder. It does make a difference on bark. Powder tends to also give a lighter color ( brown ) bark.

If you have a choice between powder or granulated, get the granulated.

The powder tends to clump and tack up too fast. I like the larger granules because they bounce around when I apply my rub, kinda like pepper.

It makes application easier, and the flavor seems to hold up to smoke and other spices a little better.

I ordered garlic powder thinking powder and granule would be the sameish...nope...
Get granular!

I recently heard Bobby Flay say, rather emphatically, that he doesn't like garlic powder - at all. I assume he likes the granules instead. Good enough advice for me. He's my favorite chef.

Ever since we got a freeze dryer, we make our own Garlic and onion powder (mostly from our garden). Way better than store bought but it is a very fine powder. don't mix it in a rub but add it in layers. Garlic first, then onion and anything course after that. On Beeph, Porcini mushroom powder is the final layer.

It seems that the powder oxidizes faster than the granules, due to increased surface area. That may be why granules tend to have better flavor. Of course I use them - both - but somewhat reluctantly because most don't smell and taste that great.

And just like black pepper or garlic powder/granules, the fine vs. coarse has other impacts in how the spice behaves in use.

Back