Got a little time, but trying to figure it out

jkief

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Jeffry
So as you all know, I’m headed from Tampa to Ft Benning in January. With that being said, we’re putting the house on the market in October. Wife agreed that if we get appraised value for the house, I can get a new pit. I was really thinking of the Southern Q Limo Jr. But the more I stew, the more I question why get another charcoal cooker when I have 3 already. I really like the ones I have too. I have 3 charcoal cookers and 2 pellet cookers. Seems like I’m missing a stick burner. I don’t do a ton of food at once, so a smaller one would work great. I plan on picking up so I’ve been researching the 36” Lang, 24x36 Shirley, and the 1957 from Workhorse since they are all within a short drive of Benning. I’m concerned the Workhouse temps might be harder to control because it’s a little smaller (I’ve heard the bigger the offset, easier it is to maintain temps)? I’m thinking the reverse flow would help with that? Suggestions or thoughts anyone?

Out of the 3 you listed, I would go with the Shirley. I wouldn’t complain about owning any of them though, as any of them would be a major step up from the Old Country Pecos I currently cook on.

If I was looking at Workhorse, I would at least got with the 1969, if not the 1975.

I’ve also heard that the Lang 36 fills up quickly.

Saving up and dreaming to be able to make a similar decision in the not too distant future. My current top 3 are the Shirley 24x36, Lone Star Grillz 20x42, or Workhorse 1969 or 1975...

I’m sure any that you listed would be a great choice, but I’m biased with my Shirley. It just hums along with minimal effort and produces great food every time.

Keep your eyes peeled on the Shirley FB page. A lot of folks bought the 24x36 while waiting for their bigger custom build and you see them for sale from time to time. They run like a dream.

I’m not the guy to steer you away from a Limo Jr. as I think it is a hell of a pit. That said, you are probably right in that you have an over abundance of charcoal (and pellet) cookers, and it probably makes sense to get a stick burner. I’d go for the Workhorse (1969 or 1975) most likely, but I do like all three you have on the list.

The other cooker to consider is the one made right out the front gate of Fort Benning, and that is the Goldens Kamado. Probably not on your list, but these things are cool as hell, and made right where you will be working/living. If I lived in that area, I would have to buy one.

I'm not stick burning...yet but agree with the others. And Thank you and your Family for your Service! :thumb:

I love how you guys are all enablers. Jeff has 3 charcoal cookers and 2 pellet cookers, and looking at a stick burner. No one here is saying "You have enough cookers!", including Jeff's wife, which is cool in itself. Only the Brethren would never question how many cookers is enough, and for Jeff, it's a big decision in his move. That is pretty cool. And thanks for your service Jeff!

I only have 2 charcoal cookers....:oops:

I have a Lang 36, but I wanted something else so I did research. I really like Workhorse and that Shirley, but I had pretty much settled on the 1969. I ended up buying none and keeping my Lang for now. With the options you listed I would probably take the Shirley over the 1957.

I love how you guys are all enablers. Jeff has 3 charcoal cookers and 2 pellet cookers, and looking at a stick burner. No one here is saying "You have enough cookers!", including Jeff's wife, which is cool in itself. Only the Brethren would never question how many cookers is enough, and for Jeff, it's a big decision in his move. That is pretty cool. And thanks for your service Jeff!

I only have 2 charcoal cookers....:oops:

My wife cracked up when I read this to her. Her quote, “ I’ve never said you have enough cookers, but there’s plenty of eye rolling over here. That is until you drop a plate of food in front of me.”

I have a Lang 36, but I wanted something else so I did research. I really like Workhorse and that Shirley, but I had pretty much settled on the 1969. I ended up buying none and keeping my Lang for now. With the options you listed I would probably take the Shirley over the 1957.

What made you think about selling the Lang? If you don’t mind me asking?

Keep your eyes peeled on the Shirley FB page. A lot of folks bought the 24x36 while waiting for their bigger custom build and you see them for sale from time to time. They run like a dream.

I don’t have FB. But the wifey does. So I snagged her phone and followed the Shirley page. Took me a minute to figure out how to do it, but I think I did it right. Thanks for the advice.

Jeffry I am going to go against everyone. Get the Limo Jr. That way you can tell me which purchase I need to make between the Assassin 48" and the Limo Jr. haha whatever you decide it is a very nice situation to be in Best of luck. Know you wanted Italy, but I'm excited you get to stay and I get to learn from your posts.

I must have missed a post -- I thought you were headed to Italy?

But, back to the question. I haven't really looked at Workhorse so don't have an opinion. I think the SF is the better choice of the other two. Even though you don't won't likely use the extra space often it's nice to have. I think Lang makes a great smoker too but think the quality and design is better on the SF.

Jeffry I am going to go against everyone. Get the Limo Jr. That way you can tell me which purchase I need to make between the Assassin 48" and the Limo Jr. haha whatever you decide it is a very nice situation to be in Best of luck. Know you wanted Italy, but I'm excited you get to stay and I get to learn from your posts.

Ha! Believe it or not, the Assassin is the reason I’ve opted against the Limo Jr. I can’t imagine I’d get much different results moving from a horizontal charcoal smoker/grill to a vertical gravity fed charcoal smoker. Seemed counterintuitive to have both. So, here we are…

Back