THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

and let me say this, I love forums but I also hate them because you can never judge someones tone of voice through writing or their intent.

I dont mean to seem over the top about this issue and I certainly dont want to come across as being pushy.....I fully understand everyone has their own stance on these kinds of questions. I get it.

I guess where I'm coming from is that I just figure if you have enough interest to own a smoker, have made it to this website, created an account so you can post, have actually paid the money to compete in a contest then I think you feel like you sort of already know how to cook.

I mean dont you? in this BBQ world you find people that are either outwardly humble towards others or outwardly cocky about what they do.......but at the end of the day, I bet nearly every single one of that has chosen to actually compete, that if it all comes together correctly for us that we absolutely cook well enough to win.....why else would we get out there and do it?

I'm not a Q snob, I am blown away anytime I get a hold of some great Q and I know tons of other people make good stuff too.....but I will also admit that I think at times I can cook stuff that is every bit as good as anything I have ever eaten. I think you have to believe that about yourself, or otherwise, there are cheaper and less stressful ways to meet folks and socialize :razz:

and I guess because of that belief that I dont feel it necessary to advise someone to learn how to cook when they are asking about what to do at a comp. that's why my focus is on the other things that matter because I make the assumption they at leas think they can cook.

I agree with part of your assessment, but there is a large chunk I disagree with.

I do agree that if someone is here, has cooked a few contests, and has made the investment that they have some level of knowledge of cooking BBQ, BUT (and this is a huge BUT) I do feel we all have room to improve and become better cooks, especially the new guys and gals! When we did our first competition 3 1/2 years ago, I "knew how to cook BBQ", but it is nowhere near what we do now. I had to invest in practice meat and classes and a new cooker to get where we are. It didn't happen overnight, and I would be embarrassed to turn in the same stuff today that I did back then. To say that just because someone is here proves they can cook good Q is a bit of an over-assumption...

You're right that there are a lot of cooks here that are not even just great, but fantastic at what they do, and some are very humble while others are quite boisterous about their success. It is the "job" of those cooks, as members of this family that is the brethren, to guide and help the new cooks, and if that means encouraging them to practice more or take a class, then that information should at least be considered by the pit-master looking for advice.

Now, to the OP, you're right...the guy didn't ask for general suggestions, he did ask about a smoker vs. a trailer, and that is why my earlier post discussed how we went through that decision making process last year (ours just happened to include a class).

I've competed KCBS for 3 years cooking 5-6 contests per year, have NEVER taken a class and have finished outside the top 10 overall just twice. Not everyone needs classes.

I agree with part of your assessment, but there is a large chunk I disagree with.

I do agree that if someone is here, has cooked a few contests, and has made the investment that they have some level of knowledge of cooking BBQ, BUT (and this is a huge BUT) I do feel we all have room to improve and become better cooks, especially the new guys and gals! When we did our first competition 3 1/2 years ago, I "knew how to cook BBQ", but it is nowhere near what we do now. I had to invest in practice meat and classes and a new cooker to get where we are. It didn't happen overnight, and I would be embarrassed to turn in the same stuff today that I did back then. To say that just because someone is here proves they can cook good Q is a bit of an over-assumption...

You're right that there are a lot of cooks here that are not even just great, but fantastic at what they do, and some are very humble while others are quite boisterous about their success. It is the "job" of those cooks, as members of this family that is the brethren, to guide and help the new cooks, and if that means encouraging them to practice more or take a class, then that information should at least be considered by the pit-master looking for advice.

Now, to the OP, you're right...the guy didn't ask for general suggestions, he did ask about a smoker vs. a trailer, and that is why my earlier post discussed how we went through that decision making process last year (ours just happened to include a class).

i agree with a lot of that but you missed part of what i said.....I dont know if the guy can cook or not, what I said was that I have to believe or make the assumption that he thinks he can cook.....otherwise, why be here?

he did ask about a smoker vs. a trailer and it goes without saying that you need to have a smoker that you know, and can trust. Once again, I am making the assumption that he has something along those lines, doesnt mean he won't upgrade at some point though.

and I total agree that it is our job, those of us a little further down the road, to help those getting started to avoid the pitfalls we know exist. therefore, that is why I took it upon myself to delve deeper into his question and try to offer him real insight to the realities of what it's like at 2am at a contest when you are cold, its raining and your trying to keep your tents from flying away.

I dont mean to rile anyone up or be disrespectful in anyway shape of fashion......but I personally feel that providing him insight to those kinds of situations and to think about how he wants to deal with those elements is far more valuable than telling him to practice cooking.

look at it like this......when you were learning to drive a car or being taught to drive, a lot of folks go to a school parking lot or some open area and they learn how to control the car and the basics of driving. thats all well and good and essential to operating said car. however, those lessons pale in comparison to the lesson you learn the first time you apply your brakes on an icy road in a front wheel drive vehicle. being able to have someone who has already experienced that scenario open your eyes to how to properly handle that goes a long way to helping you prepare vs. just sitting in the parking lot and learning how to use your turn signal.

so in reality what i am telling the guy is once you feel good about your cooking skills and choice of smoker then you need to focus on how you want to prepare for the comps from an elements standpoint.......if you have money and your all in then get an BBQ porch and possibly even a camper......if that is out of reach then make damn sure you have proper tents, weights and stakes for holding them down, sides for the tents, portable heaters, water proof clothing and a way to sleep as dry and warm as possible. personally that is advice that would have saved me a ton of heart ache when I started....because it seems sort of basic, but until you have camped outside and tried to cook in those kinds of conditions you can't possibly create a list inside your head of what you need on your own unless you have gone through it or someone helps you.....i'm just trying to help the dude avoid going through it, because going through it can damn near turn you against it.

and I can also state that I agree that he needs to do practice cooks and eventually go to a school.....I have done all of that, and I got calls before the school and after the school.....so I feel like I sort of know enough to be dangerous and what my warning bell tells me these days, is being prepared to be able to cook in the mildest/most comfortable of conditions is as EQUALLY important as having a good smoker and knowledge......i think they are intimately intertwined.

I do appreciate everyone's input and did not intend to start a battle. Everyone has their opinion on what type of trailer or smoker and that's why I posted. I do know how to cook and I'm sure I have alot to learn. I'm signed up for Myron's school, an early birthday/Christmas gift from my wife & kids. The last comp I was in got a bit hairy with the rain/wind and I can definitely see the benefits of a trailer. I figure the more information I have the better of a decision I can make. I will be practicing alot over the winter.

I do appreciate everyone's input and did not intend to start a battle. Everyone has their opinion on what type of trailer or smoker and that's why I posted. I do know how to cook and I'm sure I have alot to learn. I'm signed up for Myron's school, an early birthday/Christmas gift from my wife & kids. The last comp I was in got a bit hairy with the rain/wind and I can definitely see the benefits of a trailer. I figure the more information I have the better of a decision I can make. I will be practicing alot over the winter.

You going in November?

I went to his school earlier this year and you will have a blast and it's very informative.

Had the smokers to get the job done before we had the trailer. But honestly cant imagine doing any more than the random contest without a trailer/toyhauler.

A Trailer doesnt need to be a fancy equiped unit or anything either. A simple enclosed trailer, an extension cord and some work lights can be very effective.

Most likely you will cross a path though where your smoker/s gear require a trailer to haul. at that point you might as well get something you can stand in.

I'm for certain you will become a much better competition cook after Myron's class.

Maybe I can get my wife to get me something like that for Christmas :tape:

That sounds great! Any photos to share?

Were you asking me for the photos? Not sure, but here's the whole progression from 2013-2015! Planned updates for 2016 are a big awning on the vending window side and additional steel tables/cabinets inside for better organization. Maybe an AC if we're lucky too!

Attachments

• 2013.jpg
    2013.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 205
  • 2014 Trailer.jpg
    2014 Trailer.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 204
  • 2015 Step Van.jpg
    2015 Step Van.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 203
  • 2015 Step van Inside.jpg
    2015 Step van Inside.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 212
i agree with a lot of that but you missed part of what i said.....I dont know if the guy can cook or not, what I said was that I have to believe or make the assumption that he thinks he can cook.....otherwise, why be here?

he did ask about a smoker vs. a trailer and it goes without saying that you need to have a smoker that you know, and can trust. Once again, I am making the assumption that he has something along those lines, doesnt mean he won't upgrade at some point though.

and I total agree that it is our job, those of us a little further down the road, to help those getting started to avoid the pitfalls we know exist. therefore, that is why I took it upon myself to delve deeper into his question and try to offer him real insight to the realities of what it's like at 2am at a contest when you are cold, its raining and your trying to keep your tents from flying away.

I dont mean to rile anyone up or be disrespectful in anyway shape of fashion......but I personally feel that providing him insight to those kinds of situations and to think about how he wants to deal with those elements is far more valuable than telling him to practice cooking.

look at it like this......when you were learning to drive a car or being taught to drive, a lot of folks go to a school parking lot or some open area and they learn how to control the car and the basics of driving. thats all well and good and essential to operating said car. however, those lessons pale in comparison to the lesson you learn the first time you apply your brakes on an icy road in a front wheel drive vehicle. being able to have someone who has already experienced that scenario open your eyes to how to properly handle that goes a long way to helping you prepare vs. just sitting in the parking lot and learning how to use your turn signal.

so in reality what i am telling the guy is once you feel good about your cooking skills and choice of smoker then you need to focus on how you want to prepare for the comps from an elements standpoint.......if you have money and your all in then get an BBQ porch and possibly even a camper......if that is out of reach then make damn sure you have proper tents, weights and stakes for holding them down, sides for the tents, portable heaters, water proof clothing and a way to sleep as dry and warm as possible. personally that is advice that would have saved me a ton of heart ache when I started....because it seems sort of basic, but until you have camped outside and tried to cook in those kinds of conditions you can't possibly create a list inside your head of what you need on your own unless you have gone through it or someone helps you.....i'm just trying to help the dude avoid going through it, because going through it can damn near turn you against it.

Not gonna lie (no offense)... I skimmed this for the gist :becky:

I know and understand of temps and cranky weather. I've lived through some pretty nasty storms under two EZups sleeping on cots. Our trailer has been an amazing blessing, and I would never give it up!

All I was saying is that a trailer, in my opinion, falls more into the luxury category. A decent smoker, knowledge, and good cuts of meat is where we've found the most bang for our buck with the trailer coming secondary. The hubs and I are both teachers, so our budget is a tad tighter than many teams, so I've really had to pick and choose along the way.

I've been on a team for about 5 years now and we've been all over the board on our ability to win. I say "win" because I think you would enter a contest to try to win something.That being said, I would analyze your consistency cooking competition style que, if you can with the cooker you have then that parts good, for me It don't get much easier than a drum cooker! next what amenities do you need to be sucessful? Some win sleeping in a tent and cooking on a Webber bullet, some loose big time in a high dollar toyhauler and fancy stick burner.

When we did our first competition 3 1/2 years ago, I "knew how to cook BBQ", but it is nowhere near what we do now. ... and I would be embarrassed to turn in the same stuff today that I did back then. To say that just because someone is here proves they can cook good Q is a bit of an over-assumption...

I think Beth nailed it there. In my experience, just about every new arrival on the circuit thinks the stuff they are currently cooking will be competitive AND thinks the smoker they currently own can do the job.

If they last more than a few comps, they nearly all come to the same realization about the product they started out tuning in, and the majority buy a new smoker as well.

A big part of helping novice comp cooks is speeding up the process of this mental re-calibration. The sooner they realize how big the gap is between where they are and where they need to be to make the stage, the fewer resources new teams will waste trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

I was where you are not too long ago. I am a pellet guy and started under a small tent. Then moved up a larger tent. All the while getting the calls. I decided with my wifes blessing to upgrade to a trailer. I found one and modified it to fit my needs. A/c, lights, awning, alot of tall counter space, beds, and fridge. This is not a high dollar rig on a 6 x 12 enlcosed. That alone helped me get more sleep, made things more quiet, and privacy from those who would come on over and take a look around. I can keep cool, or warn and still do what I need to do. I would say look online for a used smoker in you need. I was able to do all my comp meat on one pellet smoker. I have since upgraded again. best on luck. I hope all do not try and bash what I said here is so please keep it to yoursevles. He asked for advice / opinion and that is mine. Thanks,

Back