Contest Announcment Flags are Flying, Winder, GA - November 6 & 7th

been saying for a while that the biggest spots should be significantly more than the standard 20x20 with minimal power. basically the EZ up and guru teams have been subsidizing the growth of the trailer crowd for the last couple of years.

Discussion of this specific contest aside, I think you are on to something there.

As an organizer, 50 tent teams are much easier and less expensive to accommodate than 25 big rigs, and both take up the same amount of space. Measured purely by the yardstick of resources consumed, RV spaces would be priced at about double the rate for a minimum site.

The current reality is that the percentage of teams using big trailers is too high, and there are too many contests to choose from for an organizer to successfully use such a pricing structure, but I think it is important for the teams who have RVs to understand the organizer's economy and how big rigs consume much greater resources than small teams.

The elephant in the room is that statistically the big rig teams take home most of the prize money. When you factor that in, RV teams are on the expense side of the balance sheet and the small teams are on the income side, so yes it is true that the folks cooking on Brinkmans out of the back of a pickup are subsidizing you lucky people with the shiny toy haulers.

Remember that at your next comp and go out of your way to help out those little guys across from you - they aren't your competition, they are your sponsors.

The change has been made on the website. In addition, they have a $25.00 discount if you register by midnight on September 15th.
Julie

Thank you for taking the point on this Julie - SR was on my call list today, so that's one less thing I have to worry about.

This is a perfect case of how newbie organizers can make simple mistakes simply because of lack of experience that can doom a contest. We as cooks, judges and Reps should be actively offering help and advice when we see something that doesn't look right. As was the case here, it only took a direct conversation to fix a problem that could have derailed an event. Kudos to everyone who has posted in this thread for maintaining a reasonable discussion that lead to a happy resolution.

If only we could have done the same with the Carrollton contest, perhaps that train wreck could have been avoided.

Thank you for taking the point on this Julie - SR was on my call list today, so that's one less thing I have to worry about.

This is a perfect case of how newbie organizers can make simple mistakes simply because of lack of experience that can doom a contest. We as cooks, judges and Reps should be actively offering help and advice when we see something that doesn't look right. As was the case here, it only took a direct conversation to fix a problem that could have derailed an event. Kudos to everyone who has posted in this thread for maintaining a reasonable discussion that lead to a happy resolution.

If only we could have done the same with the Carrollton contest, perhaps that train wreck could have been avoided.

Agreed.

I know the larger spots should cost more too. We're a 20x30 team (with our camper) which is more common as a "standard size", but know some places do start with 20x20. A lot of times there is a 3 size structure which is nice.

Seems like everyone is upgrading these days. I see backyard teams with fancier setups than my 03' camper I bought on Craigslist :becky:.

Thanks again Julie. Looking forward to it. We're on vacation and will sign up tonight after I leave the beach today and stop drinking :clap2:. So technically might be tomorrow.......:crazy:

Back