Contest Announcment Flags are Flying, Winder, GA - November 6 & 7th

Gadragonfly

Full Fledged Farker
This past Spring the Winder Lions Club with the guidance of Stanley Rodgers planned to host a backyard bbq event in Winder. They ran into a lot of resistance and in the end they cancelled the event in favor of holding a "Pro" event in November. They have now been approved to hold the first annual Flags are Flying KCBS sanctioned contest in Winder, GA on November 6th & 7th. The event will be at Jug Tavern Park - same location the previous event was held. Stanley Rodgers was instrumental in getting the original Jug Tavern Festival BBQ contest up and running. Eventually the city took over the organization of the contest and this past January the BBQ portion of the festival was cancelled.

The website on KCBS is wrong but it doesn't matter at the moment as there isn't any new information on their website anyhow. I'll be in touch with Stanley to make sure he understands the importance of keeping the website open. I'm not sure he even knows the contest has been approved since it showed up only today. But mark your calendars, if you aren't going to Shelby, NC then plan to attend the Winder, GA Flags Are Flying BBQ contest.

Julie

UGH!!! Unless my 5 year old (soon to be 6) wants to celebrate her bday at a BBQ competition, I think we're going to have to pass...we have a wedding the weekend of Chatsworth (boo), so this is the only weekend we can have her party. :sad:

Wow. I was excited till I saw kennesaw'esq price hike for bigger spots. $225 sounds good, but that's for 20x20 which is the smallest standard space I've seen in a while (excluding backyard). Then they jump to $375 for the next step up?? Thats the biggest price jump I've literally ever seen for the next size up. At most $50 is the next size up anywhere. That's really bad for that payout especially with so many other November events with lower entry for big spaces and bigger prize purses. And you gotta pay for basic 20amp :doh:?? Bummer because it is so close.....

Team Registration Fees

20' x 20' Cook Site - $225

20' x 40' Cook Site - $375

20 amp electrical service - $25

30 amp electrical service - $45

National BBQ cup is $325 and $25k payout.

Wow. I was excited till I saw kennesaw'esq price hike for bigger spots. $225 sounds good, but that's for 20x20 which is the smallest standard space I've seen in a while (excluding backyard). Then they jump to $375 for the next step up??

Thanks Gowan. I have bee very excited about this competition until this morning. I cruised over to the site, CC in hand ready to sign up until I saw the pricing. Now I'm not sure. I'm going to think on it a little.

Thanks Gowan. I have bee very excited about this competition until this morning. I cruised over to the site, CC in hand ready to sign up until I saw the pricing. Now I'm not sure. I'm going to think on it a little.

Yeah I'll still be thinking about it, but man is that at the high end of the scale. Was really excited about this one and love to support the local events. $420 is a lot of coin to get into an event without meat :-D.

Yeah I'll still be thinking about it, but man is that at the high end of the scale. Was really excited about this one and love to support the local events. $420 is a lot of coin to get into an event without meat :-D.

Agreed on wanting to cook and support the local events. I emailed the organizer and asked for the rationale involved with the large price jump between site sizes.

Shelby is the same weekend: $325 for 25x40 WITH 30 amp power included. Prize purse of 15k. I honestly don't care about the amount of the prize money unless the entry fee is higher. Prime examples would be Evans and the Cup: a little higher entry fees but for 35k and 25k in prize money respectively.

I'm also a bit wary of first year comps after Carrollton and that price hike is a red flag that this person might not have done their research at this early stage with setting prices commiserate to other local comps and their prize purse.

Jason, National BBQ Cup was $250 if you got in by July 31st, I jumped on that one.

Randy, congrats on the win in Athens, Hell of a field to take down.

BV

been saying for a while that the biggest spots should be significantly more than the standard 20x20 with minimal power. basically the EZ up and guru teams have been subsidizing the growth of the trailer crowd for the last couple of years.

OK guys, I just called Stanley to make sure the price wasn't a typo. He was willing to listen to your issues and is going to call his board members right now and see if they will agree to drop the price to $275 for the 20 x 40. It should be changed by the end of the day.

Julie

Julie you don't mess around :-D. We'd definitely be in at that price. Hope I didn't sound too harsh :doh:. I know spacing there in winder is a little snug. That sticker shock just got me :becky:.

OK guys, I just called Stanley to make sure the price wasn't a typo. He was willing to listen to your issues and is going to call his board members right now and see if they will agree to drop the price to $275 for the 20 x 40. It should be changed by the end of the day.

Julie

Wow!, Now that's listening to the people!

Back