Fish Tacos

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
Inaugural cook(s) on the Blackstone

I was itching to fire the new toy up this morning for breakfast. Fried eggs, a sausage and cheese omelet and griddled English muffins. No time for pics, trying to get used to controls and temperatures.

This evening's dinner was Fish Tacos. Some frozen Fish Chowder pieces from my local Market Basket, carrots and coleslaw fixings to go on the tacos. Fired it up, waited a short period of time for it to heat and got to work. This was a pretty simple meal in that there wasn't a need to marinate the fish, prepare any fancy sauces, etc. Just griddle the fish and veggies, add some Oyster sauce for flavor, warm the tacos and dinner is served. Couldn't be any easier. Some pics -

Fish, slaw and carrots on the griddle -

Coming along nicely, time to warm the tortillas -

Not the prettiest food pics I've ever taken, but these were simple and quite tasty.

One dinner and one breakfast down, many more to go. It'll take some practice to get used to temps and juggling food around.

It'll definitely be fun to play with and is a nice toy to have in the arsenal.

Regards,
-lunchman

Way to go, fish tacos are a good way to use tilapia. Throw fillets on griddle, cut in half lengthwise, then in small pieces. Get them crisp, push to the side and do the tortillas, even better if the wife makes her homemade torts. Top with cabbage and cilantro with lime squeezed over the top.
Now if we are having a fish fry or grilled fish we use catfish since we live in the middle of fish farming in Mississippi.

One of my favorite meals We get Mahi Mahi and my wife makes a paste for them then bake in oven Also have a Mango salsa add a little coleslaw- soooooo good

Thanks all ! This is going to be one fun toy to play with. I went out this morning, wiped it down, cleaned the bugs off it (yuk!) and gave it a more thorough cleaning. The soft cover arrived today so it's protected against the rain that's due overnight.

And for the heck of it (so much for saving money) I ordered the hard cover which should be here this weekend. The secondary intent for it is to protect the deck railing behind the griddle from heat and also act as a wind break if needed.

I've been watching all sorts of YouTube videos and my head is swirling with all the stuff I plan to cook.

-Dom

That looks Great.The BEST fish tacos I ever made was with Blackened U.S.A raised catfish.Those look delishious.

Way to go, fish tacos are a good way to use tilapia. Throw fillets on griddle, cut in half lengthwise, then in small pieces. Get them crisp, push to the side and do the tortillas, even better if the wife makes her homemade torts. Top with cabbage and cilantro with lime squeezed over the top.
Now if we are having a fish fry or grilled fish we use catfish since we live in the middle of fish farming in Mississippi.

Try Blackened MISSIPPI catfish in your next fish taco.Thank me later.:wink:

Looks great, don't care for tilapia anymore, tastes to much like mud the last 5-6 years, then I read about how they are raised. The farm raised catfish are great for fish taco's .

Looks great, don't care for tilapia anymore, tastes to much like mud the last 5-6 years, then I read about how they are raised. The farm raised catfish are great for fish taco's .

Buy U.S.A. raised catfish.Good stuff. That other stuff is shady,stay away from it!

Try Blackened MISSIPPI catfish in your next fish taco.Thank me later.:wink:

I remember now that we have fixed blackened catfish on the Blackstone, worked great. Will have to try it in tacos, that would make the higher priced fish go farther!

Many thanks. I honestly can't believe how simple this was to prepare and how excellent it turned out. The Mrs had the leftovers and asked when I was making this again. (Always a good sign of approval re: the new grill, not that she's one to complain).

So at the market today I bought more of these frozen fish packages, which are intended for fish chowder, but they'll turn into fish tacos on some night when we don't know what we're having for dinner.

This afternoon I cranked out lunch in a little over 10 minutes on a dish we eat quite often and requires multiple cast iron skillets on the stove. My wife couldn't believe it. I didn't take any pics (so it didn't happen) but I'll probably make it again later in the week and will document the cook and recipe, which isn't mine - it's a Weight Watchers one.

I'm quite impressed with the versatility of the Blackstone and am glad to have added it to my arsenal.

-Dom

Back