First time Pastrami

Willy2763

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Joe
Had to try it since the local BBQ joints are now serving it. Monkey see monkey do I guess. I generally lob off the thin end of a brisket flat and make corned beef so it wasn't a stretch to just cure the whole thing. I did the foil boat method ala Chud for the cook. Worked great and only took ten hours at 270-320*. I gave it a long rest and the texture was everything I wanted it to be. I just used a generic pastrami rub recipe off the net and it worked well. Lots of pepper, coriander and garlic. Smoked on my Bandera with oak. Overall I'm very happy with it. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• past1.jpg
    past1.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 101
  • past2.jpg
    past2.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 103
  • past3.jpg
    past3.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 102
  • past4.jpg
    past4.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 102
After you accomplish making a nice pastrami, you are correct, there is zero reason to cook a regular brisket again.

There is still a place for smoked brisket on butter toasted kaiser topped with coleslaw and a drizzle of blues hog original or blues hog 50/50.

But yes, a good corned beef on deli Rye with mustard is hard to beat.

Looks phenominal.
I have to look up the Chud method.
I've only done mine old school New York (Katz's ) style.
Brine Smoke Steam

Looks fantastic. :mrgreen:

I'm guessing you used a wet curing brine to corn the brisket, and since you have that process dialed in you can also corn a pork butt and use it to make Porkstrami. It's really good too.

Back